Leak from rad valve (not the thermostat).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've found a leak to the lockshield valve on the left hand side of an upstairs rad. This corresponds to a slight drop in pressure over recent weeks at my combi.

I packed bog roll around the valve and pipe last night (and a flannel). This morning the flannel is wet, so it's a pretty constant 'tear' of water that's running down.

I've checked the top of the valve and it's dry around the top nut, so I'm assuming that it's nothing that can be sorted by packing ptfe there. It looks like it's at the point where the pipe meets the nut.

The rad has been there well over 12 years, but had new valves fitted about 11 years ago. I've never noticed a leak, and I assume I would by now (in fact I've just noticed a stain on the ceiling below, so I guess this minor leak has been going on for some time).

So, I'm guessing the order of practice will be:

1) try and nip up the nut a tiny amount.

2) if that fails...remove the valve and replace the olive?

Do I have to drain the entire system? I have read conflicting advice from all over the interweb?

Grateful in advance for any advice.

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
I think I do need to drain, don't I?

Shut off the water.
Turn off the combi.
Drain system.
Replace lockshield valve.
Refill system + send in all that good inhibitor stuff.

Is that about it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back