Leak From Tap Bolt Under Sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am experiencing a leak under a kitchen hot tap, coming from under the bolt that screws onto the thread of the tap under the sink. It is not a major leak, but builds up over time. I was just wondering, as its fairly old plumbing, could I just get some kind of sealant and spread it round where the bolt meets the thread - do you think this would be a good solution - or should I get a plumber in to investigate? It is the top bolt in the attached picture.
Thank you

tap2.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No, sealant won't do but it shouldn't be a difficult fix with the right tools.

Turn off water, drain, unbolt, PTFE tape 8 wraps over the olive (not the threads) then reassemble

Sponsored Links
Is the tap loose ? I'm assuming your'e meaning that water from the top surface of the sink is getting under the tap base and dripping down is this correct ?

It might simply be a case of tightening the black plastic nut

Thank you

Water is not coming in from top surface of sink - I should have made it clearer - it is the top metal nut, just under where you see the gold colored thread, not the black plastic nut - it is under that metal nut where the water is seeping.

As JimCrow said you need to buy the 1/2 inch fibre washer and a tool such as the one he added a link to, turn the water off and undo the nut to get to the old washer, only thing I might add is it might be a good idea to have somebody holding the tap above tightly to ensure it doesn`t twist as you remove the nut (or tighten the nut afterwards) and ensure the nut goes back on correctly and not to cross thread it on the gold coloured thread. Could take 15 minutes or could take an hour depending on your skill level and the amount of movement in the copper pipe you have to work with. No PTFE tape or silicone needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back