Leaking Vandy basin mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vandy mixer tap which is leaking from the top (photo 1). I looked up how to replace a mixer tap and understand it is bolted to the sink from underneath. However the sink is on a base which it is sealed to (photo 2). From underneath there is a hole and I can feel with my fingers (just about) where the mixer tap is bolted. It is going to be quite a job to get to the bolt unless I make a wider hole in the wood underneath (even then I will have to get my hand up between the sink and the wall).
Is it possible to take the mixer tap apart from above and that the problem can be cured with a replacement seal or washer?
If I have to replace the whole mixer does anyone have any suggestions how to do it :)

Many thanks for any advice!

Matthew

Sponsored Links
Undo the chrome ring at the top of the tap and strip it down.
Don't need to remove tap from underneath.

I thought I needed to turn off water supply to tap. I was able to turn the right hand screw (photo 4) a quarter of a turn anticlockwise and that limits but does not stop cold water. That is the maximum possible. I turned the left hand screw clockwise at least 4 full rotations and nothing happened.
Should I therefore go for the general stopcock?

Sponsored Links
They only need turning 1/4 of a turn.
The slot should be facing 9-3 oclock to isolate.

I have cut off the water supply - thank you . I have taken off the front of the tap (where the water comes out), there was a small screw that I undid for this. I have also taken off the handle. However when you write 'chrome ring' do you mean where the groove is about 4/5 the way up the main tower of the tap. Is it just a case of brute strength? - I have tried to turn it but with no success

Yes the chrome top where the groove is.
Don't know the vandy tap but franke do a tap that simular.
I would say it's the same idea.

FRANKE

Success - got it off with aid of WD40. I got the blue cartridge out that encases the stick mechanism for opening and closing the tap (no 5 in the Franke tap) I can see water is welling up under it. I imagine the problem is the O ring - no 8 in the Franke tap. However unlike the Franke tap there is no other groove in the Vandy tower for me to undo to get to it. Would you advise trying to get a rubber seal to fit inside the large nut (no4)? However I realise that would not stop water coming up through the middle where the stick is....Could I could try to seal the cap (no 3) onto the nut and stick with something like LS-X sealant?

Tap has not leaked since I put it back together. Don't know what I did apart from take it apart and clean it but it worked! Thanks for your help :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back