Leak in roof / Flashing

M

marsaday

Hello

I converted my attic and finished it Nov 2011. All has been fine in that time, apart from the flashing around the chimney stack. In very heavy rain i had some leakage appear at the right and left corner edge of the stack where it meets the roof.

I went up and used some lead mate to seal up some gaps and all has been fine ever since.

However, today we have just noticed some brown staining on the ceiling where it meets the first supporting beam. I am thinking we have had a small leak for the last 14mths and it is now coming through.

Enclosed are some pics.

View media item 54164
Close up of the leak

View media item 54162
This pic also shows some leak. but it is in the bathroom next door and is 3-4m to the left of the leak of the first pic, on the same beam.

View media item 54163
Info:

The roof is not sheeted, just tiled, but is in very good condition so no need to sheet.

The flashing is 100 yrs old because i doubt it has been changed since the house was built. I am pretty sure this is where the leak comes from and then runs across the kingspan and finds a way into the plasterboard. I have sealed up the kingspan as well with silicon at the edges (added air tightness) and used vapour membrane on the inside of the room as extra measure against condensation.

Any comments on what i should do to replace the flashing ? Or other comments.

I will get a photo of the flashing in a mo.

Sponsored Links
The front lead apron should have been extended and dressed around the corner.
Flashings need sorting out, looks a bit short, also check the soakers.
You have a cracked slate, and the new one doesnt look like its pushed up enough.

I have checked and that cracked slate is over the area where the big damp patch has formed. Could this be the problem ? I have plenty of slates spare. Should i replace this one or seal it up with lead mate ?

My mate is a roofer and i am getting him to have a look soon.

Sponsored Links
The stepped lead flashing would be better done in one piece, instead of individual pieces.
Some one has gone over the existing ones.
The bottom needs to come down to nearly touching the tile.
Get your roofer to take it all out, check the soakers, re-do the front apron and fit new flashing, change any broken slates etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back