Leak - Not sure of the cause

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So I'm currently living in rented accommodation in a flat covering the top two floors of a semi detached London townhouse-style building.

We've been getting some pretty significant leaking/damp that only exists on the shared wall with next door. It is bad enough that the leak actually drips from the coving on that wall in the lower floor.

The top floor is a single room that looks like it may have been some sort of attic conversion but there is no flat roof.

In terms of what I think might be causing this the only things I can think of are water leaking down the chimney but they are mostly capped and there seems to be too much damp too high for that.

There is flashing in place but I don't have enough experience to know if it's been put in place correctly. It does look a bit like the tiles are just placed on top of the flashing so water could be running under the tiles?

Does anyone have any experience with what could be causing this? I can post pictures later if that'd be useful as we have a small balcony I can see the roof from.

My landlord has been completely useless so far so any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Personally, i find it almost impossible to give an opinion on situations such as yours without pics of the interior and the exterior.
If you read back posts on this forum you'll see how others have been advised and what pics provided the best info.

Sponsored Links
Quite how any pic relates to any other pic is hard to visualise, plus you appear to have a another ( dormer?) roof above.

There are a number of minor details in the slates and lead flashing that probably require a little attention. But the stack, from what can be seen, is in good condition.

The damp in the interior appears to be a long ongoing issue.

As a renter, there's no way you should be out on the roof if thats your intention.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back