Leak on porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a leak on the porch where it buts up to the house wall. The flashing looks ok where it is visible on the tiles but for some reason it goes in behind the ridge tile instead of going over the top (if that makes sense) and it is from here that it leaks. It has been sealed up in the past with silicone but this has dried out and has split. Its only a small leak and only happens when strong winds blow the rain against the wall.
What is it best to use to re seal it. I was going to clean the old silicone out and refill with lead mate and when this is dry give it a couple of good coats of roof seal which I have left from when I had a leak on the garage.
Does that sound ok?
Thanks Nige

Sponsored Links
that will probably stop it Really the flashing should come over the top of the ridge.

It should go behind the ridge, but it should have a lead saddle soaker fitted, as in the detail below. Many people forget to fit one, so on older roofs it becomes nore of a problem, particularly if the underlay has corroded or, there is no underlay at all. Take the abutment ridge off, fit a code 3 saddle soaker and bed the ridge back on. That will be a much more permanent job than trying to depend on silicon again.

http://www.clayroof.co.uk/1.4-soaker-detail-junction-_250x226.jpg

Looks like a small job to when the weather is a bit drier then.
Once the saddle is in place and i come to cement the ridge tile back, should I pack it with muck all the way along or stop shy of the saddle to allow for drainage. By this I mean, say, 2 inch from the wall or should i cement all the way to the end so there is no gap.
Any way, thanks for the replys.

Sponsored Links
Cement it all the way back. The lead saddle is there as a back-up, should your martar come out.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back