Leak or condensation?

N

Novice Ned

Hi. I recently noticed a drip down the side of my house. Not been here long so dont know if its an old problem.

It seems the culprit is an external drainpipe (from the shower I think). There is a ring of what looks like moss which is sodden.

As this has only just started to be an issue, I wonder if it is condensation on cooler nights from the warm wastewater, or a leak? Nothing suspicious in the bathroom or on external wall.

Any expertise appreciated. Thanks.
20210921_145307.jpg

Sponsored Links
The joint itself was dry, plus if you pull the pipe out a bit there is no other joint.

Wouldn't a leak worsen when the shower was in use, rather than appear the next morning?

Update: running the shower worsened the dripping.

So I removed the moss which left a gap. I noticed the 'T' shaped pipe slides over the top of the drainpipe which comes out slightly from the wall.

The 'T' shaped one had come away a bit, and I managed to advance it about an inch. I tapped it in with palm of my hand and the pipe itself filled the gap. New photo below. After running the shower again for 5 minutes, no more drip.

Could the fix really have been as simple as advancing the drain pipe a bit?

Many thanks .
20210921_181816.jpg

Sponsored Links
It could now be leaking into the wall. Its a solvent weld joint, if it isn't glued up correctly, it WILL leak. Cut it out and remake that section with new pipe and fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back