Leak somewhere underneath bath, possible re-sealing needed

As bosswhite mentions, clean away all the old stuff, dry, then apply silicone. fill the bath full of water before adding the silicone.

Sponsored Links
Well, I've recaulked it twice and it leaks worse than before so I obviously didn't do a very good job. I'll definitely do it properly this time though. I don't think I let it dry out thoroughly enough last time, plus I did it in a rush.

I'm currently removing the old caulking, however the grout between the tiles is cracked in quite a few places so I need advice on what to do there, should I get a grout removal attachment for my drill and re-grout the affected areas? Also the gap between the bath and the wall is quite large (approx 4-5mm in some places) should I grout these gaps first and the caulk over that (once it has dried)?

Any advice from you pros would be great, thanks!

I've attached an album to show you what I'm going on about.

http://imgur.com/a/lhctY

Sponsored Links
As it's a rental property (and as previously suggested it really should be your LL paying for this...), I would clad the defective tiles / grout with plastic panelling (£30 a sheet from eurocell). If you're interested in a decent finish buy some capping strips for the edges.

Run a bead of silicone along the bath edge before you start, stick the cladding on the wall, then run another bead of silicone along the bottom of the cladding where it meets the bath. Hey presto, leak proof!

You can buy decorative "sparkle board" from other building plastic outlets or you can also try multi panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back