Leaky bath / shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I've been doing a bit of research with other posts but just wanted to confirm a few things .... as we have four leaks.

We had a new bathroom fitted in November. We chose a double ended plastic bath which we're also using as the shower "tray". The width of the bath fits into an alcove, created by building out from the back wall to hide the back of the loo (as you look through the door, the loo is in front of you on the back wall and the bath is to the right, with the shower head in the alcove). The walls are tiled above the length and width of the bath, and for the 10 inches of the alcove. The back wall behind the loo is just plastered. There is a shower screen fixed to the back wall so that it lies along the bath.

Unfortunately we are finding it impossible to contact the plumber who fitted the bathroom - or we would have got him in to fix these problems. I just want to understand what I'm facing/the size of the problem/whether I can fix any of this myself.

Leak number one (contstant drip) is from one of the nuts which attaches the thermostat/shower head to the pipes (pipes are hidden behind the tiles, thermostat is not). I assume I just have to tighten this nut to stop this leak?

Leak number two (we think) is caused by water from the shower getting in where the edge of the shower screen meets the tiles in the 10 inch deep alcove. This has caused slight dampness in the plaster on the back wall behind the loo (and caused the paint to flake off in an arc - presumably reflecting the edge of the damp patch). Is this just a case of putting more sealant between the shower screen and tiles - or does the plaster need to be allowed to dry out, plaster board replaced etc before doing so? Waterresistant mdf was used as the backing for the tiled areas in the bathroom (not the right hand wall tho - see next leak) but not the wall behind the loo.

Leak number three is underneath the bath on the right hand wall (long length of bath wall) where one would expect the water from a shower to hit the bath edge. The half full bath was fixed to the wall with silicone sealant and then coloured sealant put on top. Some of the coloured sealant has lifted slightly. Are the leaks due to the bath moving? The metal legs on which the bath sits don't appear to be upright. Or can we just remove the extra sealant and refit to solve the problem.

Leak number four is only occasional and occurs when the bath has been left full for a long time. Water appears to escape from underneath the plug hole (it's a pop up plug type). Does this require resealing too?

Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts....

Sponsored Links
will try to post some later tonight ... but any thoughts in advance ...?

4. sounds like it needs resealing.
3. i would sort the legs out first or the bath will never be stable.
and not worth sealing till you have.

Sponsored Links
Hello I've uploaded a photo of the bathroom so hopefully everything is a little clearer: //www.diynot.com/network/damson/albums/

There are two photos - one of the junction between the shower screen and the tiled wall and one of the back wall of the bathroom

Let me know if there are close up images you need to see?

many thanks!

1. depends what nut is leaking if its the chrome one you can see on the bar mixer by the domed shroud you can nip that up it only has a rubber washer in the rear of it.

if it under the chrome shroud which are the dog legs that go in to the wall then its more major.
but can useally be removed and reseal if fitted properly in the first place.

2 the shower screen may just need resealing.

but what i notice on your is it sits foreward abit where as useally they sit back level with the showerhead so when running the water hits the glass etc very little water will go near the tap end
as yours sits foreward the water is spraying level with the frame and the hinge on the shower screen. and you can only silicone certain parts as its a moving screen.

Thanks Seco

Re 2 and resealing - do I need to let it all dry out before resealing or is it ok to reseal now and presume that any moisture will work it's way out through the plaster on the other side (you'll see where I've already chipped away at some plaster).

thanks again

its hard to see it properly.
but yes you'll need to let the board dry if it isn't already damaged to much.

that silver corner quadrant peice between the tiles and shower is that part of the shower screen or just a trim on the end of the tiles ?

khg.png

is this part sealed or not ?
i would say the waters getting in there.

Hi seco

You're right it's just a trim and I suspect the water's getting through there too. So I will remove, seal with silicone sealant and refit the trim. Correct?

thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back