Leak under bath - joist damage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We've traced a leak to the waste pipe on our bath. That's getting sorted tomorrow, but I am concerned about whether there could be damage to the joists below. The floorboards the bath sits on are nice and dry, but there's a cutout in them for the waste pipe. The water has been going into the area under the floorboards/above the kitchen ceiling. There's definitely a joist or two in that area but I can't see whether they've been affected.

Have you encountered a leak like this before? If so, does anything need to be done to check out the joists and make sure they're ok? Bit concerned they might have been damaged or have started rotting away, but unfortunately I don't know how long this leak has been going on for.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If the kitchen ceiling is OK, then I would think the joists would be fine.

Was it actually hitting a joist or going straight onto the plasterboard below?
Unless it was hitting a joist directly, going on for a long time, and yet still insufficient to make the ceiling below wet, you will be ok. What alerted you to the problem?
If you're concerned, ask the plumber to take the trap out of the hole, and if it is big enough get a phone camera in to look. Also try to poke a screwdriver into any joists. If they are sound, don't worry.
We had a small leak from the corner of the shower tiles as there was a tiny crack, was landing directly on a joist end where it went through the wall. But apart from having a very high moisture content, there was no damage.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies!

To answer some of the questions... Not sure how long it has been leaking. The plumber who fixed the leak today said it has probably been going on for a while, but that seemed like a bit of a guess really.

We discovered the leak because the kitchen worktop was wet despite no one spilling anything. Looked up and there's a yellow spot on the ceiling above and a patch where the ceiling meets the wall.

I got a phone poked through the hole today and the leak hasn't gone directly onto any timber, it's gone on to plasterboard/rubble. The kitchen ceiling was overboarded so there are two layers of board to get through, though one of them was smashed up in places to trace wiring for the kitchen spotlights.

Top tip for removing the side from a bath by the way - use a baby toy with a suction base (if it's one that needs pulling out, that is)!

The joists do appear to have taken on some moisture but I'm not sure how bad they are. Here's a photo - https://photos.app.goo.gl/ah1PkJMb1FVoFEh23

I can't get at them with a screwdriver but will see if there's anything else I can prod with. I'm thinking next thing to do now the leak is fixed is to keep it well ventilated etc - are there any further measures to take to ensure a successful drying out session?

The kitchen ceiling will need tidying up, the plaster seems fine at least, it's just the paint which has discoloured.

Cheers!

Stopping the leak is the best way, your joist looks like ours did, damp but not rotten. In a centrally heated house with reasonable ventilation it'll dry out in months rather than years.
You can add heat and a fan and dehumidifiers to speed it up if you're impatient

Could you get rid of all the rubble? That would help it dry.

Last bathroom I did, not a mark on the ceiling below.
Can’t be to carefully.

Attachments

• 745A2B24-0603-455F-BE46-CCE3C4DBAE94.jpeg
    745A2B24-0603-455F-BE46-CCE3C4DBAE94.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 496

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back