Leak under shower tray - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just over a year ago we had our en suite bathroom refurb’d and replaced the bath with a walk in shower - Truestone low level tray (all tiled in).

The installation suffered numerous leaks which were fixed by the installer after several visits.

A year on and we have discovered a brown patch on the ceiling underneath.

I’m suspecting failed silicone / grouting around the tray as this caused the earlier leaks or an issue with the shower waste.

When I placed the shower head on the hose directly on top of the drain and ran water for a period of time I did notice a fresh water mark on the ceiling below. Is that a valid test to expose the source the leak or would that be too much pressure anyway for the waste pipe?

The installer does state a 2 year warranty on their website and I’m suspecting it’s an installation issue even though a year on. Is this possible?

Sponsored Links
That's a shower waste issue for sure.....bad luck! I'd bet the drain rose hasn't been sealed or tightened....or both.
John :)

Thanks - even though it was installed a year ago do you think it’s hard to prove fault of the installer on this?

Sponsored Links
How hard is this to rectify from the ceiling below?

Ok thanks - do you think I have a valid case that I can take up with the installer even though a year on?

You can but try.....you say there has been previous issues though, which doesn't bode well.
With an installation like this, I wouldn't seal things up until it had been thoroughly tested for days.
John :)

The ceiling is in our living room so won’t look the best but something to think about. Thanks!

Sick and tired of tradesmen, there are too many poor ones. This one was recommended by the bathroom store.

It's only going to get worse, your low level tray ....does it have a plinth ? You don't say its on the floor. If it has a plinth you should be able to get it off to see what's going on. If the tray is sat on the floor then like others have said access it from beneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back