Leaking shower - suspect waste - repair with Fernox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

I've got a leaking shower. A small wet patch has appeared on the ceiling downstairs and I have determined that the patch is very near to the shower waste.

The shower tray is one of those that is set into the floor so access to the underneath is impossible unless the ceiling below is cut away.

I had been noticing that when showering the water wasn't draining away that fast, resulting in the waste filling up and creating standing water in the shower tray. Because this was happening I wondered if water might be seeping up the waste's thread and running down onto the ceiling which would mean the rubber gasket would also have to be at fault.

Suspecting this, I unscrewed the shower waste from above and cleaned off all traces of silicone, including off the rubber gasket which sits under the tray (on top of the bottom half of the waste)

I purchased some Fernox LSX as had read good things about its use and applied it to the top of the rubber gasket, all around the waste thread and also under the flange that sits on the top of the shower tray. Screwed waste back together and left to set.

Ran the shower but water was still coming down onto the ceiling.

So did some tests with pouring buckets of water down the waste, causing it to fill up. Poured water all around the shower tray edges where the tiles meet the tray. Poured water down the tiles above the shower controls incase it was seeping through there but in all instances no water leaked at all.

So, got wife to try the shower again the following morning and weirdly no leak at all.

I'm totally at a loss as to why it leaked the first time after the repair but now it's ok. I know Fernox doesn't set completely so could water pressure have 'pushed' the Fernox to fill voids that was letting the water through ? Can't think of any other reason why the leak has stopped.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back