Leak under shower tray? Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a leak from my kitchen ceiling where it meets the wall, it doesn't drip but there is a wet patch. I have measured how far in it is, and checked upstairs to see why it is in line with. It is very slightly to the right of the plug of my shower. I have taken floorboards up, and the waste from the shower is bone dry, as is the floor. However, immediaely between the plug outlet and where I think the leak is, is a joist. (Excuse me if I am calling things by their wrong names, I'm no expert hence the panic). I cannot see how to check under the shower tray without taking the whole thing out.
My question (sorry I took so long to get around to it) is, how hard is it to take the shower tray out, and does the whole cubicle need to come out? The leak could also be behind the tiles and travelling although I assume it is more likely a joint underneath.

Thanks for any advice, I know you guys are great cos I have been using your posts to do a subfloor and underfloor heating!

Linda x

Sponsored Links
If the waste to the shower is leaking below the shower tray the best way to get to to it is by cutting a hole in the ceiling below, its cheaper and easier to have a patch repair on the ceiling than remove a built in shower.
But first reseal the hole tray and tiles this is where you are most likely to have a leak.

Thanks for your reply, I think the idea to remove the ceiling is a good one - as I said, I don't think it is the waste pipe but I have been told it is very rare for the feed pipes to start leaking. We have a gap between the shower and the tiles from when the shower was changed and have found out that my lovely teenager leaves the shower head on the tray floor as putting it back on the hook is obviously too much trouble! I have sealed this gap in case water has been running through the inside of the wall. I know it's a long shot but it would save a lot of trouble if it was that simple..
Thanks,
Linda x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back