Leak when removing TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an issue with a smart tado smart TRV so I was going to switch it for a regular TRV whilst I sorted the issue with the tado.
Anyway when I started unscrewing the TRV water started leaking and the more I unscrewed the more water. I didn't take it all the way off because it was a lot of water coming out. When I screwed the TRV back on leak completely stopped. I've tried googling and searching but can't seem to find why it is doing this. It was fine when I initially swapped from traditional TRV to tado smart one. None of my other TRV act this way.
Does anyone have an idea what is going on?

Sponsored Links
If your just screwing the head off then it's a faulty valve.

If your just screwing the head off then it's a faulty valve.
Thanks. The water really gushes out when I try remove the head. It's not just a tiny bit it's high pressure lots of water but it's fine when the TRV is in place, no leak at all. Do I need to replace the valve or will it be ok with the TRV on.

Sponsored Links
This could be a disaster if the TRV operates at night and the valve leaks water everywhere. Even removing the batteries won’t work as I think the TRV rests in the open position.

Sounds like you are unscrewing the valve internals when removing the head. Sounds like you need to depressurise the system and take the head off to see what's going on.

A TRV is a sensor that pushes a pin in, nothing else, what you are saying is impossible , show a pic of what you are removing

Some TRV valve bodies have an hex nut on them that unscrews, if the tado TRV slots onto the hex nut then in theory it could unscrew if the OP isn’t removing the TRV correctly and the hex nut is lose.

I'm going to swap the valve over tomorrow so I'll take some pictures. What was happening seemed impossible to me also. I unscrewed a TRV in a different room which came off fine to reveal the pin and hex underneath but this one leaks water as soon as I unscrew it. I've checked everyday and kept paper towels around the valve and there is no leakage when it is screwed down.
Bumper into a plumber at work who thought it was strange. Anyway he reassured me it is pretty simple to change over. I'll drain and change and going to add some cleaner for a few days whilst I'm at it. Then drain again and add some inhibitor.

Thanks for your help people. I went and bought new valve ready to fit but when I went to take the TRV off for picture purposes to show the leak it came off no problems. (I had sprayed it with some wd40 a few days prior)
I can see what the problem is now though. The hex nut and the part the TRV screws onto are one piece and made of plastic so the metal from the TRV must have been digging into the plastic and unscrewing both when I was just trying to unscrew the TRV.
IMG-20220519-WA0000.jpg

Thanks for your help people. I went and bought new valve ready to fit but when I went to take the TRV off for picture purposes to show the leak it came off no problems. (I had sprayed it with some wd40 a few days prior)
I can see what the problem is now though. The hex nut and the part the TRV screws onto are one piece and made of plastic so the metal from the TRV must have been digging into the plastic and unscrewing both when I was just trying to unscrew the TRV. View attachment 270136
That’s what I thought, you were turning the TRV body when you only need to turn the TRV retaining clamp.

i'm sure you have , but if its a pressurised system, you may now just want to check the pressure, as you have let water out
The water really gushes out
you may not have lost a lot , but if i bleed a rad the pressure drops a lot on my system
Note - just a DIYer , so not trade , but have played with a couple of CH systems in the past , with leaks etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back