Leaking 15mm collar

DNJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As a newb to plumbing I thought i'd start small by installing a bidet gun sprayer to the toilet cistern feed! It has been problematic. The only leak I have left (after several leaks) is between the T-valve and the entry to the cistern. Both are male 15mm. The cistern is your usual plastic job and the T-valve is metal. I thought I could use a 15mm female collar and just link the two together, but it hasn't worked. I think one of the problems is that there is no compression in the link anywhere; the two elements are touching inside the collar and I have used plenty (probably too much) teflon tape, but it is still peeing out either the top or the bottom of the collar, and I can't physically tighten anything any more without risking threading the plastic.

Any suggestions? Would a washer between the two inside the collar do the trick? Or do I just need to keep going with the TPFE tape!?

I've taken it apart and put it back together about 20 times now, so I'm coming to you guys in the hope of some solid ideas!

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can you post a pic of your T-valve, or a link to a pic?

Unless the supply is from a separate tank you face a heavy fine if/when discovered so I urge you to research it properly before doing it.

Unless the supply is from a separate tank you face a heavy fine if/when discovered so I urge you to research it properly before doing it.
Yes.The plumbing police (pp) nasty bunch..will be in your bathroom shortly.They are kitting up round the corner to enter with the ""big red key""

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
so I'm coming to you guys in the hope of some solid ideas
Disconnect it, put the pipework back to the way it was and don't try to fit one. They aren't allowed to be fitted to the mains water in the UK.

That being said, if it's a plastic push fit fitting then the pipe probably isn't pushed into the fitting properly.

Thanks for the warnings - although a newb to the nuts and bolts I am aware of the legislation (or at least I thought I was) and I was under the impression that it is not a blanket NO, just that you have to have sufficient provisions for non-return. Both the T-valve and the flexi hose have non-return valves in them. I'll contact the PP and see what they say. At the moment it is all put back together as it was so we'll see what happens.

At some point the UK is going to have to start making provisions for water recyc as standard in new homes and retro-fitting old ones, water doesn't just fall out of the sky you know... :whistle:

In terms of the original question, it is just a brass collar coming off a stainless steel male to plastic male. T-junction photo attached.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 09.58.58.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 09.58.58.png
    185.8 KB · Views: 208
Non-return valves are still non compliant...nothing short of a break tank will suffice.
No further advice from me as you're willing to flout legislation and put you neighbours at risk from contamination (and I talk from
experience...seeing very ill people that have suffered from contaminated water).

just that you have to have sufficient provisions for non-return
Yes, you're absolutely correct but it's not about provision for non return, there has to be a physical air break on the flow to the outlet.

For what you are installing there needs to be Category 5 Backflow protection and NRV's don't provide that.

• Thanks
Reactions: DNJ
99% on here would just carry on.
makes you wonder why people ask doesn't it?! No, i know my limits. I came here with a straightforward question about a leaky pipe and i'm leaving with a much better understanding of the regs; all for free and no one gets sick! Only £29.99 spent on a bidet gun which i'll put on my church tea urn...!

A win for the format I think, thanks again all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back