Leaking around the render on a new window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Wasn't sure if this best fitted Plastering, Building or Windows & Doors forums. Went with plastering as render is involved and most of you guys know me and I stand a better chance of help.

Please see the pics below -

My parents have had a small double glazed window put in, and is now showing signs of efflorescence on the plaster in the left hand reveal (from inside).
It looks like it's working its way in in the bottom left hand corner, and the MDF window board is now starting to show signs of swelling, so it needs sorting quick.
It was probably done about 3 months ago, but now the weather is getting wetter, it has become a problem.
I suspect they can get the builder back, but may take a while, so was after some background first.

The render on the oustide looks basically sound with maybe a slight hairline crack about 2' above the top of the window frame. It's not hollow sounding either. There are no signs of any damp inside at the lintol or the top of the reveals, which I was perhaps expecting if it was leaking above the window.
The window cill looks like it is angled correctly so water will flow away. There seems to be a little cement in the bottom corner on the outside, and wondered if this could disrupt the drainage off the cill.

Any ideas? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hey newbee, it is obvious that the water is getting in around the window. I would get a tube of polysulphide, as opposed to silicon (as you can paint over it) The best brand is Geocel (it is made by Dow Corning) which also make silicon prducts,(Yes even the implants that women get fitted!!! ;) I digress, Put it all around the window and feather it in with your finger. Do you know if the window and cill were fitted as one item or seperately,as I think that the water may be coming thru the joint between the two. So chip that bit of muck out and fill the gap in between cill and window with white Dow Corning silicon. Also check under the cill and fill in any gaps..Let us know how you get on.. ;)

First step is to do as Roy says and see if that solves it.

If not, it could be that you have some bridging , it may be that the external render is coming in behind the frame to touch the internal plastering.

so the damp is tracking in.

The days of using a bit of damp course, and integral weather proofing everywhere are near enough gone with sealant being used in all kinds of places.

Is there much condensation on the window and frame ?

Sorry for the delay guys - back late tonight and just caught up.

Hey newbee, it is obvious that the water is getting in around the window. I would get a tube of polysulphide, as opposed to silicon (as you can paint over it) The best brand is Geocel (it is made by Dow Corning) which also make silicon prducts,(Yes even the implants that women get fitted!!! ;) I digress, Put it all around the window and feather it in with your finger.

Ok, will pick some up and try it.
Is it better to use white or clear when between the frame/cill and wall?

Do you know if the window and cill were fitted as one item or seperately,as I think that the water may be coming thru the joint between the two.

I don't, but I'll ask the folks and see if they happened to be around when he was fitting it.

So chip that bit of muck out and fill the gap in between cill and window with white Dow Corning silicon. Also check under the cill and fill in any gaps..Let us know how you get on.. ;)

Is there much condensation on the window and frame ?
There was none on the frame, and I can't recall any on the window.
Next time I'm there, will have a better look.

Cheers guys. Unfortunately it's a holiday home for them so I may not be down there for a week or two. Will get back.......

Sponsored Links
Quote...

Ok, will pick some up and try it.
Is it better to use white or clear when between the frame/cill and wall?

I would use white in both cases as you can paint over the polysulphide..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back