victorian bay window architrave shaped render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm removing the cheap looking bay window and the roof above it (it's only on the groundfloor) in my victorian villa. I will be replacing the 80's ally windows with UPVC sash windows, at the bay corners I will build piers in celcon block then render them, but the good victorian bays had what looks like a concrete skirting at the bottom and an architrave at the top of the piers, how did they do that?

Sponsored Links
Some of them may be pre made mouldings stuck there, some may have been runin situ

You can run these yourself with a template. I find a silver sand/lime /sbr/cement makes a nice final coat.

Have you got a pic first?

a pic? do you mean of the existing bay or of what I'm trying to replicate?

The job will be really involved because the existing windows are set on the outside leaf on wooden cills, to make the bay look correct, I must cast concrete cills and then mount the new sash windows on the inner leaf, then block up the corners n render

As for running the moulding shapes, I think I'd have to be a bit of a plastering superhero to be able to pull that off, I'm competant at most building work, but a man should know his own limitations :cry:

I could cope with casting the skirting/architrave shapes though

a pic? do you mean of the existing bay or of what I'm trying to replicate?

The job will be really involved because the existing windows are set on the outside leaf on wooden cills, to make the bay look correct, I must cast concrete cills and then mount the new sash windows on the inner leaf, then block up the corners n render

As for running the moulding shapes, I think I'd have to be a bit of a plastering superhero to be able to pull that off, I'm competant at most building work, but a man should know his own limitations :cry:

I could cope with casting the skirting/architrave shapes though

It's a wise man that knows his limits -but maybe you'll give it a go.

I was looking for a pic of the moulding you need to run .

Your template can be first cut from cardboard, then use this to to make one from a piece of ply .

You can use battens as guides . if shap and thickness allows, the battens can be used to give you the outside edges of your profile for your first pass, and then build up to the template.

If you need a radius , a string fixed at the centre will do - often you need a batten across an opening to give you this point.

If you had a picture we may be able to help more.

Where is it, anywhere near Beds/Herts I may be able to pop over and go through it with you

Sponsored Links
Micilin, you are a true gentleman and a scholar and I thank you for your kind offer, sadly I live in Epsom, Surrey. Running the profile requires skill and experience, so I'm going to go with your other explanation and cast the suckers in concrete.

Where is it, anywhere near Beds/Herts I may be able to pop over and go through it with you

Ok then m8,,,, now where have we seen g*****************ng offers like this before then,,, eh,, come on,,, z********d b*******'ms. Just becos y********ms, gh*********'m came over last saterday, dont make it rite dus it,, huh,, stupid h********s v*********rs,,, z**********rs m*********rs,,, anyway, it dident last. :rolleyes: Thats my apinyan eniway. :eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ok then m8,,,, now where have we seen g*****************ng offers like this before then,,, eh,, come on,,, z********d b*******'ms. Just becos y********ms, gh*********'m came over last saterday, dont make it rite dus it,, huh,, stupid h********s v*********rs,,, z**********rs m*********rs,,, anyway, it dident last. :rolleyes: Thats my apinyan eniway. :eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

No smiley big enough for my grin!!!

(Please note - was not looking for £350, bish bosh , in the pub by lunchtime )

It's a bit far for me, but the kind of thing that's nice to do if you have the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back