Leaking bath tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, about 3 months ago I had a new bathroom fitted. The other night I noticed the bath mixer tap leaking from the base of the tap (were it meets the bath)

My plumber has looked at this and as the the tap is in the centre of the bath on the wall side he say's there is no way of removing the tap without removing the bath! The tap / pipe joint under the bath doesn't appear to be leaking so i'm thinking the tap must have a flaw in it? Has anyone else come accross any thing like this before? The mixer tap (has ceramic discs in it) and bath was bought from Victoria plumb.

I'm hoping some one out there will have a quick fix to this? My plumber has told me that chances are the bath will break taking it out and I cant see the supplier giving me a new bath!

Many thanks for looking!

Sponsored Links
The tap may well be faulty, and you will have to remove the bath if it needs a new one.

I can't see how the bath would break if it is removed carefully.

I'm guessing your plumber doesn't fancy taking the bath out, which is understandable.

Its hard to tell from the picture, but are you sure the water isn't running down from the head of that side of the mixer?
If not, its definatly faulty. Most credible manufacturing companies will take a return of the taps inside a year, before you think about removing it I'd phone the actual manufacturer as with some of them they'll send out they're own or 'trusted plumber/electrician' to inspect the defective taps in place.

Unfortunately if the taps are inaccessible from underneath removing the bath is the only option. The bath won't be in any risk of breaking if its removed with care & not brutality... I've had to do lots of jobs like this because the installing plumber wouldn't come back to fix his installations or the regular plumber trys to get out of it by saying something to put the customer off the idea. It is an awkward job don't get me wrong & can be time consuming depending just how small the bathroom is.. but the bath won't break unless its being removed by apes. Your biggest risk might be scuffs on the corners & perhaps your first row of tiles.

Sponsored Links
Had a job just like this last month, in a recently fitted bathroom.

Knocked a hole in the stud wall from the room on the other side of the wall. Insisted that a quality Grohe tap was used in place of the Chinese junk that had failed. Your tap is probably also Chinese made.
With Grohe, if a fault develops with the tap, you can always get spares and repair the tap in situ.

Repairing the plaster in the room behind might be less destructive than ripping your bath out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back