Leaking bathroom sink tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
933B7BBD-29E1-4A2D-B88D-FB5120147554.jpeg
Hi

Am I right in thinking I need to somehow remove the red plastic thing in the tap to remove it? Am I also right in thinking I need to replace the cartridge with these taps, not the washer?

(If I wanted to replace the whole tap, is that also straightforward?)

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Yes ,remove red cap ,yes whole valve has to be replaced. But judging by the amount of limescale present I suspect a new tap would be wiser.
Easy enough to fit ,if you have tools , particularly box spanners.

Many thanks.

Do I force the cap off with a screwdriver? Will there be a retaining screw behind it?

I agree with you re need for new tap. How would I go about that? (I have box spanner)

Thank you

Have a look underneath the basin ,you should see the nut ( sometimes two) that holds the tap to the basin.
Isolate hot and cold water supplies, seperate tap tails from supply pipes ,undo nut and remove tap. Fitting new one is reverse of above procedure.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. Problem I’m going to have is that pipes are boxed in behind tiles. Going to have to remove them first.

Can you show pics ? Would be quite a hassle if tiled in. I would try to repair tap first ,if tiles have to be removed. The red plastic thing gets levered out. Beneath is a grub screw that must be removed ,then tap handle pulls off to expose the valve.

Thanks. See photo of sink and tiles.

175F0F56-DF5C-4454-91F6-FCF6B7F1D55F.jpeg
Think I’ll opt just to change cartridge. Are they all standard size, available fromB&Q?

Ta

Some are generic ,widely used ,but there are several variants. A good plumbers merchants would be able to match yours if you take it to them.
The cupboard below basin may give access to pipework / tap ??

Thanks again. Access-not sure cupboard helps that much as nuts will be up behind tiles. Think tiles have to come off?

Can you not get to it through the roof of cupboard or back of that cupboard. Is it tiled inside cupboard?? (I wouldn’t think so). Open the cupboard door so we can see inside.DO NOT REMOVE THE TILES !!!! I am absolutely flabbergasted if any qualified or even competent plumber would advise that. Even a competent diy,er would not need to take the tiles off. Access to any pipe work or the bottom of those taps will be through that cupboard. Even if you have to make a hole inside the cupboard. I repeat DO NOT REMOVE THOSE TILES !!!

Last edited:
Hear what you say. Much appreciated. I’ll have a peek and provide more photos. I was pessimistic as had to have work done on toilet cistern a few years ago, (Equally boxed in) and they had to remove ledge to get to gain access.

Watch this space.

Yes..as said....Try at all possible not to remove tiles ..BUT fook me that job could be tricky....Why people are obsessed with hiding stuff to the point of almost impossible serviceability is such a ballache.

One thing about Plumbing nothing appears the same and is easy ,
Never a truer word spoken.The chances of taking that tap to bits,removing bits,finding the correct bits,refitting and not causing a minor leak are vanishingly small.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back