Leaking bleed plugs again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago I replaced all the radiators in the house with new ones, the type that come with a 3/4in bleed valve and blanking plug, sealed with a rubber o-ring. Last summer, with the radiators off for so long, I saw a couple of them were weeping from the threads. My question is, do they eventually do this, or have I perhaps over-tightened them, or under-tightened them? I didn't use any additional sealing as I assumed the o-ring was where the seal is. They have parallel threads of course. What do the professionals do?

Sponsored Links
The rubber seals in the valves/blanks become hard/brittle/split over time and can then start to leak. Yes if they are overtightened then the seal can eventually start to leak.

Just take them out and use a length of PTFE tape to seal them back up, will probably last longer than the seals do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back