New Radiator, persistent leak!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I consider myself to be a proficient DIY'er and have good plumbing skills.

However, I'm now on the 4th time of removing my new towel radiator in an attempt to stop it leaking! The radiator has threaded ports to accept unions that came with the valve. These unions are hollow and tighten with a large allen-key. Once tight, the valve attaches to them, sealing with an o-ring.

However, I cannot get this union to seal to the rad. I can see water emerging from the threads. I've tried a normal amount of PTFE, a lot of PTFE and Boss Green. What is the normal way to seal this type of fitting? I know I could get into using hemp, but I'd regard that as pretty extreme for a new rad. Liquid PTFE? I've never used it, but is that a good option?

Sponsored Links
PTFE tape.
12 turns usually does it then press into the threads. Then tighten in.
If should be getting fairly tighten when nearly turned in. If it is still turning
very easy you need more ptfe tape. Usually this never fails for me.

If this towel rail and valves were bought from the likes of toolstation/scewfix then there overall quality is rubbish
Even the ptfe tape these days is carp try a wrap of about 20 turns with a smearing of compound job done

What is people's fascination with PTFE? John will be along in a minute :LOL:

Best solution to Screwfix cheapness is a liquid PTFE - ironically, Screwfix's No Nonsense stuff is pretty good.

Assemble the threads as per instructions/common sense. Leave for a few hours then assemble.

Either that or use Loctite 55 thread instead.

Sponsored Links
What is people's fascination with PTFE? John will be along in a minute :LOL:

Best solution to Screwfix cheapness is a liquid PTFE - ironically, Screwfix's No Nonsense stuff is pretty good.

Assemble the threads as per instructions/common sense. Leave for a few hours then assemble.

Either that or use Loctite 55 thread instead.

It's the quality of the gear mate fecking hopeless some of it :LOL:

Who fancy's a ptfe debate ??

Loctite 55 fixed it. :cool:

But why on earth do you need to damage the threads as part of the process?! I couldn't think of a logical reason to do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back