Leaking boiler ID hemp with photo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a potterton promax system HE plus boiler which is leaking everytime it's running. I have ID'd it coming from this plastic container at the end of a pipe I believe. As you can see, the fitting is not flush with its plastic setting on the right hand side anymore.

What is this piece, what needs replacing and is it something a novice can do themselves? At very least it's good just to know the name so I can call a plumber. Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's burst and needs replaced. As it's part of the combustion side of things you need a Gas Safe Engineer in to fix.

Sponsored Links
Looks like its split.could have been overtightened.

google potterton 5118972 as mentioned its a job for a qualified person.

Please don't try and fix yourself, even if you now know what part it is.:rolleyes:

Fiddling with part of the flue system could create a potentially dangerous situation for you and your family, you need a qualified engineer in to identify why it's failed and fix.

I would ask friends and neighbours for their trusted local independant. Everyone should have a regular as in theory, they are having their boiler service properly every year. A bit of a bind for those that have just moved in to a place.

But as a rule, review websites, checkatrade type things are not a source of decent people.... although there are exceptions to that rule.

If you know anyone who subscribes to Which? Magazine then they have a website called Which Local where members rate traders in very honest terms....totally unbiased reviews and ratings. Also have a look at the Which? Trusted Trader website but remember that these businesses have paid to be on the Trusted Trader list. Member ratings are more relevant.

As already stated, you need to get someone in who is familiar with this model of appliance. Look on the Baxi website to see who the local approved Baxi installers are - then see if any of them havd recommendations from elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back