Leaking bottom Rad Pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Leaking pipe going into the TVR...

Do i have to drain the system to PTFE tape the joint or will just loosing it a bit then wrapping the tape suffice.

Ive been told the system is under at least 1 bar of pressure.

If i have to drain the entire system what is the best way to do this.....? then get it back to normal..?

Its a Baxi combi boiler.

Ta in advance.

Sponsored Links
Problem is that the leave is before the TRV. Because of this you are going to need to drain at least part of the heating system.

go round and close all Locksheild and trv valves on al rads. (not always neccesery to vaccume system but will help) switch off boiler , and open air vent on rad in question. Open outside drain valve.

close air vent on radiator in question. Strip off the TRV and re tape PTFE.
Replace TRV refit to rad.

close drain valve and refill system.

bleed the rad in question.

reopen all lockshields etc.

bleed all other rads.

job done.

There are a few other ways you could go about this fix, but i think this provides the safest option for you.

if in any doubt consult a certified plumber

Sponsored Links
still not sure what you mean.

where the pipe goes into the trv ....its on a compression joint. (nut that can be tightened)

if you mean here, just give it a nip up and hopefully it will seal.

some times best to undo it 1/2 turn and then tighten it 3/4 etc

still not sure what you mean.

where the pipe goes into the trv ....its on a compression joint. (nut that can be tightened)

if you mean here, just give it a nip up and hopefully it will seal.

some times best to undo it 1/2 turn and then tighten it 3/4 etc

Yes...where the pipe goes up to the TRV.

its a nut yes, ive tried nippng it up with a spanner but its still dripping.

Filling up quite a bit now....

:(

I don't want to Over tighten it and the thread it................!!!

It has to be proper dry to put the PTFE tape on and if i undo it anymore surely it will just continue to P1*S all ver the threads....

Thats why i was thinking of taking the pipe of completely after i had drained the system and drying it all off before PTFE'ing............

yup thats your best bet, just remember its the olive that you are PTFEing not the threads.... ok ?

you know actually take the bottom nut off, and pull the pipe put of the TRV, tape the olive (tape in the correct direction to avoid tape unwinding when tigtening (anti-clockwise as you look at the pipe) put the pipe back in
the trv and retighten the nut.

yup thats your best bet, just remember its the olive that you are PTFEing not the threads.... ok ?

I didnt know that.

I'm a mechanic and we PTFE threads on a hydraulic system..... :eek: :eek:

I will follow your advice on the draining of the system....(Also have a look online and in the Dis-structions to the boiler)

Then PTFE THE OLIVE....................

you can tape threads in most circumstances, (rad studs etc ) but as the TRV is a compression fitting taping the threads wont do nowt..

you can tape threads in most circumstances, (rad studs etc ) but as the TRV is a compression fitting taping the threads wont do nowt..

cheers for the advice.

Tape the Olive after draining the system then.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Legend.

How do i drain The primary circuit on a Main 24 E boiler............?

i need to do this to remove the bottom pipe on TRV.......

if your sure it wont seal by tightning it then the safest will be to drain down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back