Leaking Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A good few years ago we had a leak from our shared Chimney had a repair carried out and damp proof coating on the outside brickwork, until all this recent extreme weather it had been fine. However we now have a soaking wet internal chimney breast and adjoining wall on the return - this is a shared chimney with our elderley neighbour, I enquired with him if he had any damage informed me he didnt so I informed him I would be getting somebody to look at what is causing the damage. It is just General wear and tear 2 different contractors advised a repair on my half between £200 & £400 or complete stack removal everything put right 1k. I challenged the neighbour with this information and informed him cost wise we would prefer the Stack removal rather than keep spending out on it repairing, from this he invited me into his home to find he has an extremely old gas fire in the downstairs breast - and he has if not worse water damage than us on his upstairs breast. I arranged for a Gas engineer to check his fire for him it has been condemned as unsafe so being capped off(also the elderley gentleman never used it). But he is now being advised by a family member who doesnt live their to ask lots of questions such as how much to rebuild the chimney, can we just leave his half up etc - all these options are a lot more costly than basic stack removal and it's starting to feel like he is trying to avoid any cost or removal. I spoke with my local council not sure if they could advise with it being private homes and was informed they could arrange Enviro Health request of Advice visit, is anyone aware of what happens with this can they instruct the stack to be removed. Trying to stay amicable with the neighbour over this but he just keeps throwing new challenges to avoid what actually needs to be done and basically I dont want more damage in my property - can anyone shed some advice on how to deal with this issue. TIA

Sponsored Links
Unless your neighbour agrees to have the chimney removed, i would imagine you're stuck with it. You won't be able to force him to have it removed.

A proper repair on the chimney should last for at least 10 years. Are you still going to be in the property then? Sounds like the neighbour won't......

I'm hoping to be at my property for a further 30 years and yes I agree my neighbour probably wont be for a further 10 years it's just infuriating to keep throwing good money at something that is not needed by either party trying to make it good and manageable rather than spend a little bit more and be done with the problem alltogether then can wait for the inside damage in our property to dry out and get that replastered and decorated again it's all expense that is really unnecessary due to someone's ignorance to want to keep their property well maintained.

Maybe he /they want to check all options.. sounds fair, it is his too.
Re repair though anybody that says they can repair a troublesome chimney to last ten years is brave

A troublesome chimney usually means no tray. repair option , rebuild with tray or removal.

Sponsored Links
Easiest way forward is to adopt a wearing down process in that answer all and every question posed to you.
Such as?
How much to remove --- here is the estimate-- try to get your own [that ties up his time]
Have a meeting with the "adviser" and show them the damage in both houses?? buy a cheap moisture meter and use it to show how wet [saturated] the walls are in both properties??
Get him to find an estimate, with a [say] ten year guarantee of workmanship to rectify the chimney head.
Show the neighbour and especially the "adviser" all papers concerning repair and anything you have from the Council.
If there is one call the Citizens Advice see if they have any ideas?

As an aside? what state are the roof timbers in? is there a loft that can be accessed?

Ken.

why not post pics of the chimney stack from all four sides - use a selfie stick from a window if necessary?
have you been in your loft and examined the loft chimney breast for water staining?
and pics of the water damage below - on two floors?

the "damp proof coating" you mention has probably faded away over the years even if it was ever effective or actually needed?

main causes of chimney stack leaks are: 50/50 flaunching and flashing.

as a general rule, for a number of reasons - dont ever remove a chimney stack even if the c/breasts below have been removed.
and dont start rebuilding anything until you know what the cause of leaking is.

OP,
you are now heading into Party Wall Act territory, and unless there are very particular conditions for your situation then thats the expensive PWA swamp you could find yourself in - dont go there.
simply post some pics as above, and then wait and see for suggestions form this forum.

Thank you all for your responses so far, I will try and get some external shots of the chimney tomorrow it's not easily accessible from our roof window as it's on the apex end of the house, and loft area under this chimney is very small. 2 different contractors have gone through on their stomachs this week and both reported it is very wet. We have answered all the questions the neighbour has posed us with such as how much to rebuild we have provided him with that quote to his response oh it's too costly for him to then ask for us to just take our half down which I started looking into and saw that was going to be another very costly process with Party wall act etc, my Husband has advised him to obtain his own quotes for repairs, removal etc which we hold our breath to ever receiving from him.

He is being very problematic in just delaying anything to be done whether it be repair or removal.

a correctly built chimney with a tray in the right place will never allow ingress.

any pictures from outside?

Probably feels bullied.
Thanks for that, and that is the last thing we would want him to feel and we are certainly not bullying him into anything apart from providing him with all the same options we have to keep his property maintained to a standard, of course ignorance is bliss to sit back and do nothing about it like he has been doing.

please say what floor we are on?
your pics all appear to have been taken at the same place.
there is also a crack in the ceiling - probably at a plasterboard join?
can you show full chimney breasts including any fireplaces?
difficult loft pics can also be taken using a selfie stick in the loft.

what you say about "the loft area under this chimney being very wet" & the damp stains in your pics indicates that it could be a flashing problem with water running down the face of the internal chimney breast.

modern best practice for roofing work is for before and after pics/video to be provided by the roofer.

please say what floor we are on?
your pics all appear to have been taken at the same place.
there is also a crack in the ceiling - probably at a plasterboard join?
can you show full chimney breasts including any fireplaces?
difficult loft pics can also be taken using a selfie stick in the loft.

what you say about "the loft area under this chimney being very wet" & the damp stains in your pics indicates that it could be a flashing problem with water running down the face of the internal chimney breast.

modern best practice for roofing work is for before and after pics/video to be provided by the roofer.
This is up on the 1st floor directly under the roof, no staining or water marks yet showing on the chimney breast on the ground floor. The crack appeared after last weekends stormy weather and my husband agrees it is probably at a plasterboard join. We are being soaked with rain again today once it eases off I will go and get some external shots of the chimney.

please include the internal shots i asked for?
and photo the chimney from front and rear elevations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back