Leaking Cistern (Pushbutton)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help.

Had a problem last night, downstairs toilet started overflowing so flushed it to see if that could remedy it. It will now not re-fill appears to be going straight into the toilet pan constantly. I assume there is some seal problem. I had a quick look at the assembly, but could not make head nor tail of the springs and seals.

Do I need a complete assembly of is it a case of replacing/cleaning seals?

It also seems strange that the float was not working correctly either to start with. Even when raised by hand water does not stop. For a few monts at time I have noticed that it seems to take a long time re-filling

Sponsored Links
the float valve is probably worn or got some grit in it.

It is possible to buy and fit a repair kit, but a new one is so cheap you may as well just swap it. If you want to, you can later repair the old one when you have plenty of time and can do it in comfort on the kitchen table,and keep it as a spare for next time.

Measure the old one so you get a new one to fit.

You will have to find the service valve or stop-cock to turn off the supply until you have fixed it.

Does the old one look like this, with a plastic float on the end? Does it connect through the side or the bottom of the cistern?

p1816516_l.jpg
p1812512_l.jpg

If you get a new one of the same type you should be able to leave the fixed part in place and screw the moving part on using the RHS blue nut.

Yes it does look exactly like the picture provided. And the feed is from the base.

Would that resolve the problem with water constantly draining through the bottom and straight into the pan though?

If the ball valve won't shut off properly the cistern will continue to fill and as your toilet has an internal overflow this is the water that you can see and hear running into the pan.

Sponsored Links
many thanks, although it is not actually filling, just leaking out of the bottom before it has a chance to fill, i took the assembly apart and there is a large spring and two seals in there, i assume one of these has perished.

It will still need a new float though

take a photo please.

You might ned to fit a new syphon or whatever it has. that is more of a job as you have to take the cistern out to fit it through the bottom.

then you had best buy a new syphon. Measure the old one (especialy the height) as they vary. Buy also a new "doughnut washer" that goes between the cistern and the pan as the old one will probably not make a good seal when replaced.

You will probably find a couple of screws that clamp the syphon to the pan, visible underneath at the back. The old ones are often rusty and need replacing. Try to get all the new parts and tools to hand before you start.

We really would like to see a picture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back