Leaking close coupled toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Any help gladly appreciated. My toilet has started leaking where the water pipe enters the bottom of the cistern.
My first problem is I cannot take off the top of the cistern, I have tried turning the outer ring on the 2 buttons anticlockwise but the whole mechanism turns. How many turns does it take to remove the mechanism and how then does it come apart?
Finally any suggestions how I can then fix the leak?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
you may have to prise the buttons off their shafts. press one of the buttons in and see if anything is written on the side of the other, such as 'service' and then an arrow pointing upwards.

take the buttons off and there will be a captive screw underneath.

is it the cold supply pipe feeding the cistern that is leaking?

these generally leak either through a defective sealing washer where the inlet valve meets the service union

or because the inlet valve is cracked.

Thankyou for replying, yes it is the cold water supply, will some silicon suffice under and around the washer also I cannot get a spanner to undo the plastic nut securing it on the underside of the cistern. I only have about 18" working space so do I have to take the whole toilet out?

if you are sure that it is leaking from the joint where the inlet valve meets the cistern, then it is possible that the inlet valve is cracked and no amount of silicone will help you.

a basin wrench

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14631/Hand-Tools/Pipe-Wrenches/Adjustable-Basin-Wrench

should be able to get to the nut. you will need a new fibre washer to connect the inlet valve to the service union. i think you may need to replace the inlet valve.

taking the bog out is a bit OTT and will cause loads of other problems

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back