Leaking condensate pipe joint - Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would be grateful for some advice on the following problem.

The condensate pipe from my boiler is currently dripping whenever the boiler is running. On investigation the leak appears to be coming from a joint in the part of the pipe which runs from the boiler to the wall

See the following pictures for information

img6596z.jpg

img6601v.jpg

img6594b.jpg

The first image shows the joint where the leak is occurring (though it's at the back of the joint nearest the wall).

Second image shows the rear of that joint shot from across the wall and you can also make out the screw fitting where it comes out of the boiler. The arrow shows where the leak is forming.

Third image isn't much use but shows the drip that forms on the bottom (i.e. it runs down from the joint as seen in the first image)

I've got separate boiler and plumbing cover with D&G so had a heating engineer out today who attempted to seal the joint with sealant/solvent. This didn't work but I have noticed with a mirror that it's possible the sealant has been missed slightly at the back where it is still leaking from

Now on to the questions I've got :-

(1) Upon calling D&G again after the sealant fix didn't cure it they are now trying to avoid helping any further by saying my boiler cover doesn't cover the condensate pipe as it's not part of the boiler whilst my plumbing cover doesn't cover it as it IS part of the boiler. They obviously can't have it both ways so I've escalated it and apparently getting a call back tomorrow. The wording on my boiler cover mentions I'm covered for the "System" including "above the ground pipework directly associated with the provision of central heating" whilst my plumbing covers "internal plumbing and/or drainage system" and external "drainage pipes". The only relevant exclusion is in the plumbing cover which excludes repairs to central heating systems (which is obvious as that's what the boiler cover is for) however it does elsewhere state the same exclusion but with "except pipework" which to me would suggest pipework for the central heating system is therefore not excluded. To cut a very long story short, am I being unreasonable to consider the condensate pipe to be covered by one or the other of these policies?

(2) In terms of fixing the problem, assuming another go at sealing the joint doesn't fix it (or sealing it causes water to back up into the boiler and trip that) then what would be considered the correct fix. The current condensate pipe runs from the boiler and into the wall as can be seen on the first image. From there I can only assume it runs internally in the wall and I believe it may come out under my sink into the waste pipe from my sink (there is certainly a white plastic tube coming in from the wall which joins to the main waste pipe for the sink with a rubber seal but I have no way of telling if that is the boiler condensate or something else such as the washing machine waste pipe - though the washing machine is further round the kitchen on a different wall so would make much less sense for it to be that). There is no visible external pipework. Access to the parts of the pipe in the wall is obviously a problem (it's tiled further down but the initial bit where it goes into the wall is just plaster so maybe could be accessed easier) but with either end potentially accessible is that a major showstopper? The engineer was talking it maybe requiring the running of a new condensate pipe externally (which I'd obviously like to avoid) but is that overkill? I'm thinking it must be possible to maybe replace the exposed parts of the existing pipe (as in the images) unless the glue makes that impossible? And if it's a blockage then that may be accessible from the other end under my sink? I guess I'd really just like some advice on what the right way to tackle it would be and to confirm or otherwise whether the extreme measure of a new external pipe is required just because the existing one runs in the wall. Would it not be possible to just replace the leaking joint in the image rather than the entire pipe?

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post!....

Sponsored Links
It looks as tho' the pipe is about 1 1/4" Dia, also it looks as if there is 1 elbow then immediately another elbow, this means it would be very difficult to re fit a new pipe under boiler. However whoever installed the boiler and pipe is at fault, also it looks as if the condensate isn't running away fast enough, so that allows the leak to show up more. make sure your waste pipe is ALWAYS running away because if it blocks the boiler stops working. Your cover should sort it out since they came once which admits liability, so come and do it properly. whatever that involves, I prefer external run of condensate but only in 1 1/4" waste pipe, it can be black or white pipe. then it can't freeze.

Can you send me whatever you have been smoking PP?;) That's overflow pipe - possibly a Worcester boiler?

Anyway. Pipe is cheap as chips but will be a bit of ball ache to replace due to the proximity to the wall.

Agree the fall isn't big enough though; but the immediate fault could be rectified with some of that self-amalgamating tape.

Thanks for the replies guys.

One quick question (not ignoring the fact Dan has already said it would be a ball ache), given what you can see in the pictures, would you expect it to be possible to replace anything in the way of the pipe working with just the exposed part or is there not enough to work with so would require access to the hidden portion of the pipe? (i.e. even though it may be difficult is it do-able?)

Sponsored Links
As it runs internally from there (I think - nothing on the outside wall) then I guess it would be a case of knocking a hole in the wall then?

And if the self-amalgamating tape worked I guess it just increases the risk of the water backing up into the boiler too

What boiler is it? Looks like an Icos or Isar to me. If it is you can remove the bottom panel and you should be able to see more of the pipe and better have better access.

It's 21.5mm pipe and internal condense runs are prefered, any size pipe will freeze if it's outside. Looking at the weather we should be seeing a few soon! :D

Yes it's an ICOS (hence why I've got cover!)

The bottom cover has been off a couple of times but it doesn't offer much more (in terms of visibility) than the second image

I think D&G saw sense and realised there's a good case for it being covered under either policy so I had a plumber out today under the plumbing cover and he was right enough but has again tried to seal it. I'm currently giving it a bit of time to dry etc but now expecting to end up with a FL fault and then have to get back on D&G for them to then decide which policy covers it this time

Ultimately, I'm expecting something more substantial is going to have to be done such as unblocking, altering or replacing the existing pipe. Both the heating engineer yesterday and the plumber today seemed to be edging towards replacing with an external run of pipe due to the fact it currently runs inside the internal wall. Any thoughts on that?

I would have thought it was worth trying to check the existing pipe from the end where it joins to my sink waste pipe (which I understand may be difficult due to it all being solvent welded) but maybe I'm underestimating how much effort that would take? I could provide a picture if it would help

Right now, I'm hoping for a bit of luck and the re-seal works without any knock on effects....but I know that's perhaps unrealistic

They can blow thro the pipe from the disconnected boiler end. you have to be able to disconnect that end in order to service and clean the condensate trap.

. Both the heating engineer yesterday and the plumber today seemed to be edging towards replacing with an external run of pipe due to the fact it currently runs inside the internal wall. Any thoughts on that?
Internal condensate vs. External condensate - Which one will freeze up :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back