SOIL STACK: Condensation from inaccessible joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Condensation from inaccessible joint...
I have a water leak running down my internal soil stack which is coming from a joint that is 1 metre above the highest wet entry point.
The joint seal is broken and during these cold months condensation is forming higher in the pipe and escaping out.
Access to this joint is very limited (boxed and tiled in).

I was thinking about replacing the cap on the top of the stack (which is external and accessible) with an external air admittance valve hoping that this might stop it.

Would this work???

TIA

Sponsored Links
dont think they do an external aav.a durgo valve can freeze .get a 4inch chimney china mans hat type cowl.

with respect, are you assuming the water is coming out of the inaccesible joint . :?: more likely to be coming in and running down the outside of the pipe where the pipe exits through a lead slate with ll weathering collar Glued onto the pipe :idea: and probably isn`t glued even if it is there. Don`t put any durgo on it . It will achieve nothing

Sponsored Links
I positive that the water is coming out of the joint. I witnessed it in the past and tried to seal it with waterproof sealant which worked for a while. It was keyhole surgery trying to do it.
I don't want to take tiles and boxing off again because I'll do major damage.
The pipe does not exit the roof. It goes through a wall at 90 degrees and then up. Theres no water on the external pipe.

Can I have an AAV/Durgo as the only air input on a soil stack run. This pipe is the only air vent for my 2 toilets.

with respect, are you assuming the water is coming out of the inaccesible joint . :?: more likely to be coming in and running down the outside of the pipe where the pipe exits through a lead slate with ll weathering collar Glued onto the pipe :idea: and probably isn`t glued even if it is there. Don`t put any durgo on it . It will achieve nothing
i agree with you mate water only travels downward unless it has been heated up as far waste are concerned

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back