Leaking dishwasher hose connections.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use an extension (2.5m) hose for my dishwasher and for the past few months I've battling with the damn' thing to get both ends watertight. I've read up on all the does and don'ts and replaced the hose to no avail until recently. I've currently got it set up where each end has an extra washer and it seems to be holding. I've also turned the tap on my mains riser so that it's mostly closed.

I can live with the mains tap turned mostly closed but I'm wondering if that's a reasonable solution or indeed if that has anything to do with it. My understanding is that it hasn't reduced the pressure on those connections and I only tried it as a last resort.

I really don't understand why I've had this much of a problem with what should be a simple bit of plumbing. I'm wondering if anyone here can offer advice on whether there's anything further to be done. For what it's worth the leaks have always been a slow drip (one drop every minute or so) from the back of the locking nut.

Sponsored Links
Turn on your mains stop cock it doesnt affect pressure only flow rate for simplicity

Maybe an idea to find out the static pressure on your cold main. As if it is to high you may need to fit a pressure reducing valve

Turn on your mains stop cock it doesnt affect pressure only flow rate for simplicity
Thanks for that. So if the connectors are currently holding it means the hose is (finally!) attached properly? I'm sorry to be a pain but I have a real paranoia where plumbing is concerned :oops:

Gimme life threatening electricity to deal with over a poxy drip anyday. At least electricity usually stays in the wires and doesn't sneak around behind your back :)
Maybe an idea to find out the static pressure on your cold main. As if it is to high you may need to fit a pressure reducing valve
Well it's high enough that on wide open when the dishwasher, washing machine or toilets (rapid fill valves) shut off there's a thunk from the pipework.

Sponsored Links
Are there any problems with washing machine connections, maybe they need tightening

Are there any problems with washing machine connections, maybe they need tightening
Washing machine seems fine at both ends. It's only the dishwasher hose. FWIW the washing machine has the manufacturer's hose which looks a lot more chunky at the connectors.

Maybe find out the static pressure. If your connections are holding then all good. Don't worry too much about what if 😉

If it's that much of a concern, (and I can understand your worry), it may help your peace of mind to get the cold supply extended and just use the manufacturers supplied hose from valve to machine. Not a major job to do usually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back