leaking drain tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Strange question.

Just had a new boiler installed, and the drain tap (lowest point of system etc, where we would normally drain system from) is leaking. It is just dripping, and after a week we have only lost 0.1bar of pressure.

However, I tried to open the tap to let some water out with a view to trying to close it again, and no water came out?

Any ideas why it would drip when closed and then nothing come out when it is open?

Can't get anyone out to look at it until the end of the week, so anything you can suggest would be great.

Cheers
KP

Sponsored Links
The washer is knackered and the jumper is stuck.

Have new washer ready and drop system pressure to zero.

Remove drain cock screw and pull out jumper with long nosed pliers. The washer may stay behind and you would have to poke about a bit with the pliers to get it all out.

Fit new washer and put it all back together and repressurize, leak should be cured.

If you have difficulty finding a new washer then just buy a new drain cock and use the guts from it.

Sponsored Links
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will have a go at it...not sure how to drain the system first as there is no drain point on the boiler as far as I can tell but worst case is I get a face full of (cold) water when I unscrew the drain tap's innards..

Out of interest - as you are all helpful - the installer didn't put any inhibitor in the system. I asked him about it and he said it wasn't needed. My previous heating engineer who serviced the old boiler used to add some every service. Who is right?

Sorry - I got this wrong - I just spoke to him and he tells me that inhibitor was used. What he told me was that he didn't need to change the descaler unit - or something. A little knowledge (mine) doesn't go very far...

kipperphill";p="1391843 said:
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will have a go at it...not sure how to drain the system first as there is no drain point on the boiler as far as I can tell but worst case is I get a face full of (cold) water when I unscrew the drain tap's innards..

No need to drain down, just knock the pressure off.

You could do this by opening a radiator vent or cracking open a radiator union. The flow should stop after a pint or three is taken out.

Make sure nothing is left open before starting on the drain cock.

Make sure nothing is left open before starting on the drain cock.

A good point. Shut all doors and windows. Tape the letterbox shut too. Dont talk, or let the kids talk.

Then, crack on....

Paul

Just to say thanks to everyone that posted. I did the job today and (apart from getting wet!) it all went well. Leak stopped, new washer in place, system filled and pressure fine - all working.

Cheers
KP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back