Leaking Essex Flange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Juts after a bit of advice, the Essex Flange fitted to my hot water cylinder has recently started leaking slightly. Picture attached.

I've lived here for six years with no problem so far, the cylinder is not as old as the house, which is not quite 25 years old yet. My guess is the cylinder will be between 15-20 years old.

Had a plumber look at it, without a moments hesitation said we needed a new cylinder. He did quote a reasonable price to fit this. It wasn't until I asked about replacing and resealing the flange, rather than the whole cylinder, that he said he could, but obviously couldn't guarantee that it would work, which is a fair comment, as with any repair.

My question is, would the plumber know, as soon as he has removed the old flange, as to whether it is repairable? I'm assuming that once the old flange is out it would be fairly clear as to whether it is the cylinder that is the problem?

Sponsored Links
Had a plumber look at it, without a moments hesitation said we needed a new cylinder. He did quote a reasonable price to fit this.
It looks a bit cruddy & he’s admittedly looking at it in the flesh but I don’t see how he can say that without removing the flange & taking a closer look. It’s obviously a more lucrative job for him to fit a complete new cylinder & ancillaries & the scrap value of an old cylinder is also an incentive so it’s a win/win.

It wasn't until I asked about replacing and resealing the flange, rather than the whole cylinder
That would be the most logical approach & it may not even need a new flange, just a good clean up & new sealing washers.

he said he could but obviously couldn't guarantee that it would work, which is a fair comment, as with any repair.
Once he’s removed the flange, he will be able to asses the cylinder condition & advise if a repair is viable & would be successful, if so there is no reason why he should not guarantee the work.

My question is, would the plumber know, as soon as he has removed the old flange, as to whether it is repairable? I'm assuming that once the old flange is out it would be fairly clear as to whether it is the cylinder that is the problem?
Yes.

Tell him that if he wants to scrap the cylinder you will take it to the scrappie. If you do, make sure you remove the insulation first; I took a small cylinder along expecting to get a tenner, they deducted 2 kilos for the foam (probably 200gms of it) and still gave me £38.00! I also tipped out the litre or so of dirty water that was slopping around inside it, silly me.

Looks as if the flange just needs a new washer, the trouble is that it's a fiddly difficult job and he will probably drop the inside part into the cylinder then want to fit brand new. Cheaper than a new cylinder though unless you decide to go for a bigger one with a faster reheat coil. If your house is 25 years old the existing cylinder will have an inefficient coil so an upgrade to a modern cylinder might be worthwhile.

Hi

Thanks for the replies. That kinda backs up my thinking on the subject! Funnily enough the plumber hasn't called today, not yet anyway, as he said he would work out an exact cost before coming and fixing/replacing tomorrow! I've got a friend of a friend looking at it this afternoon, so I'll see what they say.

I just get the feeling, from the 2 plumbers I've spoken to so far, that this type of fitting is none to popular? Or else it's just I've been unlucky and both have seen pound signs in front of their eyes!

I'd tackle it myself, having successfully undertaken some DIY plumbing in the past, it's just my last attempt came across a bodge by the previous owner, which left me unprepared to fix, and without water supply so I had to get a plumber in anyway! Guess that means I'm running scared at attempting this myself a bit!!

Sponsored Links
Hi
I just get the feeling, from the 2 plumbers I've spoken to so far, that this type of fitting is none to popular? Or else it's just I've been unlucky and both have seen pound signs in front of their eyes!
The Essex is the best anti-aeration flange you can get, it’s better than any top fit flange & is the preferred flange of the majority of pump manufacturers. The reason many “plumbers” don’t like them is they are not as quick/easy to fit as a top flange, you have to drill a neat hole in a brand new & rather expensive cylinder (requires balls), inexperienced fumble fingers tend to drop bits inside the tank or ham fisted fitting & over tighten causes the cylinder wall to distort.

Hi
I'd tackle it myself, having successfully undertaken some DIY plumbing in the past. Guess that means I'm running scared at attempting this myself a bit!!
It does seem a rather daunting task on a new cylinder but once you’ve successfully fitted a few, you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Drill it out a fit a new one. A coupls of hours work at most. The 1st one I did (about 15 years ago) was tricky, but any plumber worth his salt will just get on with it. Experience counts for alot when engaging in this type of work.

Mr. W.

Drill it out a fit a new one. A coupls of hours work at most. The 1st one I did (about 15 years ago) was tricky, but any plumber worth his salt will just get on with it. Experience counts for alot when engaging in this type of work.

Mr. W.
Job for Proper Plumbers , not Prima Donna gas fitters :mrgreen: . First one I saw done was a top Immersion flange on a domed copper cylinder - My old neighbours when I was a nipper - Our council houses had cylinders with no heater boss :eek: . You had to light the living room fire to get hot water. Better than my Grans house - you had to boil a kettle on the coal range there

Our council houses had cylinders with no heater boss :eek: . You had to light the living room fire to get hot water. Better than my Grans house - you had to boil a kettle on the coal range there
The good old days.
I remember doing the washing in our old gas heated wash tub.

We had to be up at 5 o'clock, half an hour before we went to bed.
Eat a handful of cold gravel for breakfast.
Go out and lick t'road clean wi' tongue.

Cor! Drill a hole and do a nut up? You guys certainly live on the edge. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back