Leaking expansion tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,

I've discovered a leak coming from the top of an expansion tank that sits on top of an electric boiler. See pics attached. I'll get a picture of the top of the tank uploaded when I am in the flat later.

I was looking for advice on:
1. What the issue likely is - should the expansion tank just have air in it?
2. What's the likely remedy - new valve or new tank.
3. Is this a DIY job or do I need a professional. Not sure if a plumber will be interested as its an electric boiler.

Thanks for any advice! I don't know anything about electric heating as you may be able to tell!

Huw

Attachments

• Resized_20180130_210211.jpg
    Resized_20180130_210211.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Resized_20180130_210257.jpeg
    Resized_20180130_210257.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links
Need to see on top, is it coming from the valve on the middle?
If so it's probably lost all pressure and the diaphragm is bust and needs replacing. May be possible to replace only the diaphragm but usually it's the whole lot.
Since it's an unvented heater it needs all the system checked, presumably there's a pressure relief that's been blowing off water? If not that needs checking urgently

Thanks John. I got someone out to replace the tank.
Would you recommend an annual service for an electrical boiler? (I thought they were dead simple!)
Is there some annual maintenance you would recommend I undertake - e.g. checking air pressure?
Cheers again for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back