Leaking Flexi Fitting

JP, yes.

I have been to 100's of "it's leaking from under the cistern" jobs and it is always a faulty float valve. I just replace the float valve and job done. Any work carried out on the thread part of the float valve is a bodge and will end up being a 'go back'.

But you are the man for pumps!

Andy

Sponsored Links
JP, yes.

I have been to 100's of "it's leaking from under the cistern" jobs and it is always a faulty float valve. I just replace the float valve and job done. Any work carried out on the thread part of the float valve is a bodge and will end up being a 'go back'.

But you are the man for pumps!

Andy
Well thanks for the bottom line, as to the rest all I`ll say is that all parts used are plumbing parts used in a standard way so nothing has been adapted to suit and I`ve used this method to cure leaking fill valve stems for around 18yrs and never had a problem unless the stem is truly buggered. Each to there own bearing in mind we are helping a DIYer here.

Very often there is a split in the actual thread on the plastic so no remaking the joint will help.

I'm with the majority here. Especially because it's a DIYer, let's make life as easy as possible for them ;)

Very often there is a split in the actual thread on the plastic so no remaking the joint will help.

I'm with the majority here. Especially because it's a DIYer, let's make life as easy as possible for them ;)

I agree re the split in the stem, that is time for a new valve and anything attempt to fix it would be a bodge and a waste of time. However IF the cistern has to removed from the pan in order to fit the new valve then we risk opening another can of worms do we not and the parts come to less than £8.

Sponsored Links
I agree re the split in the stem, that is time for a new valve and anything attempt to fix it would be a bodge and a waste of time. However IF the cistern has to removed from the pan in order to fit the new valve then we risk opening another can of worms do we not and the parts come to less than £8.

That's a side entry ballvalve and the retaining nut is clearly visible in the picture. Why would you remove the cistern??

I've known female plastic fittings split, but not male parts. Not that I've worked on many.

I agree it's likely cross-threaded, if so it could be because the white box thing (flushing mech?) makes it hard to line up.
It's a good bet grandadt has plenty of time on his hands. He could at least try removing the flexi nut and PTFE and check the rubber washer is OK. Then slacken the plastic nut so he can align things properly and refit, being careful not to cross-thread. 10-15 minutes work. If it's not a success he hasn't lost anything, he can replace the valve then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back