Leaking flue plate on shed roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into this shed about three years ago, it has a little wood burner in it with a flue that runs through the roof. The problem seems to be that on top of the roof, the flue passes through a 18" square ali plate that is nailed down on top of the felt, While I have resealed underneath the plate every year with silicone, when the fire is used , the plate gets hot and expands , then buckles , letting water in underneath it.

Any one else sorted this problem? As far as i can see there are three ways to go, one is to build up a ridge of felt underneath the plate, layers of felt and black stuff, so water running over the roof , runs around the hole in it.

The second would be to bend the plate so its still square and flat round the edges, but the centre is raised , say by 1 ",the intention would be if the plate expands it will raise the centre more and not wrinkle the edges. But I have not got a clue how to bend it, other then the edges need clamping to keep them flat!.

The third way would be to open up the fixing holes and use oversize washers on top, so the plate can move about. I wonder if one can maintain a decent water seal though?

The fire is not a great success as it needs constantly feeding and gets through a small sack of soft wood offcuts a day, I am really tempted to abandon it!

Frank

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back