wet shed roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bad leak in my shed, and figured the roofing felt needs replacing. I removed all the old felt and there are large patches of damp wood underneath. As it is the winter I fear there isn't much chance of these drying out but didn't think it was a good idea to put the new felt down on top of wet (maybe rotten) wood. I have covered the roof with a tarpaulin now (as it has been raining) and am hoping it will dry somewhat due to air circulating underneath.

I don't know what to do now. Do I need to replace all the wet wood? Or if I put new felt on top will the wood dry out (from underneath - inside the shed) Is it a good or a bad idea to put a heater in the shed to try and dry it out? I really don't know what to do next (i am an amateur DIY-er!) I should have done this job in the summer when it would've had time to dry out but I didn't.

Any advice very welcome.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
if the wood is ok then just re-felt
wet will only harm over the long term if the wood cant dry in between it needs to be a constant 22%ish mousture for rot to set in
is it planking or sheet material like ply

Hi
thanks for your reply. It is sheeting. I just went to have a look at it and I leant on a part of the frame (around the edge of the roof) and the wood just fell off! I think parts of it are rotten - the wood is kind of flaking away. I have taken the tarp off as it is sunny and it might dry, but don't know what to do next!

Sponsored Links
yeah a bit like weetabix! I'm not sure it is a job i can do myself, definitely not on my own anyway. I am really unexperienced DIY-er - my boyfriend helped me take the felt off and he could prob do it but he is working full time and hasn't the time really. Maybe I need to pay someone to come do it. If I cover it with a tarp in the meantime do you think that will offer enough protection not to make it worse? I have taken it off now that it is sunny out,

before you spend any money have a prod around at ground level to see if theres any rot down there
any chance off pictures inside and out top and bottom :D

unfortunately my camera is broken so can't put any pictures up. Do you think it is ok to leave it with the exposed wood until the weekend when my boyfriend can help me work on it? I can cover it with the tarp. I am just worried about it getting worse during that time, if water gets under the tarp. many thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back