Re-felting shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While we were away for a couple of weeks over Christmas the capping strip of our shed was blown off. I'm assuming this was during the high winds 2-3 weeks ago. The wood has been exposed to the elements for this whole period, so it has seen a lot of rain.

I have been hoping for a dry weekend to allow the wood to dry out before re-felting it, but it just keeps raining! Is it a really bad idea to re-felt it when the wood is soaked?

Sponsored Links
No it should be fine to put felt back on it will still dry out I would also put some straps on as well so the felt don't blow off. Also depending on your neighbour's and how secure the area is maybe leave the door open to dry it out. Up in scotland we put sarking boards when the roof is getting slated. When the boards go they are quiet often tight when the felt goes on. A couple of months later the boards will have dried out and shrunk showing gaps which are the ventilation gaps [/code]

No it should be fine to put felt back on it will still dry out I would also put some straps on as well so the felt don't blow off. Also depending on your neighbour's and how secure the area is maybe leave the door open to dry it out. Up in scotland we put sarking boards when the roof is getting slated. When the boards go they are quiet often tight when the felt goes on. A couple of months later the boards will have dried out and shrunk showing gaps which are the ventilation gaps [/code]

Sponsored Links
Cover it with a piece of plastic if it continues to rain. Just tie it down and it can be drying out underneath. It doesn't have to look pretty

Top tips guys, thanks!

I have had a similar issue with my shed, however it only looks like a couple of strips on the top have blown off, do you think I would be ok just patching with new felt or am I better off just going the full hog and replacing it all?

Someone mentioned using a stapler to fix the felt instead of the usual felt nails? I'm keen as this would make the job a lot quicker, but anyone any experience?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back