Leaking gate valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got several gate valves on my central heating system around the hot water cylinder. One of them, leading to a towel rail, leaks when turned fully on or off. As air bleeds out first, and as I've been having trouble with air in the system generally, could this be the source? Could I fix it by putting some sealant around the spindle - the leak seems to be around where it enters the valve body?

Sponsored Links
sounds like the packing on the valve has failed. The hot water will need to be turned off and the hot water pipes drained so the valve can be fixed.

Hi Brumylad! How do you propose 'pict' can fix his valve? I don't think sealant will achieve the desired result. Do you know if packing for the gland can be purchased. I think tallowed hemp might cure it?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
pict,

If the pump is before the cold feed/expansion pipes (the neutral point), such that most of the system is under negative pressure when the pump is running, then the valve could suck in air (and leak water when the pump is not running). However, if the system is under positive pressure (the pump after the neutral point) then the valve is unlikely to be the source of air in the system.

Is the problem gas in your system definitely air? Corrosion within the system produces hydrogen gas. A water leak causes fresh oxygenated water to be introduced into the system. This not only accelerates the corrosion but also dilutes any corrosion inhibitor.

Gate valves are relatively cheap, so, as breezer said, it would be best to just replace it (rather than try to fix it with sealant).

A gate valve has a gland nut like a stoptap. Could it not be turned shut all the way and undo the gland and push some packing in such as ptfe tape or strands of wool.
Would be better to renew though if you are confident :)

MANDATE said:
Hi Brumylad! How do you propose 'pict' can fix his valve? I don't think sealant will achieve the desired result. Do you know if packing for the gland can be purchased. I think tallowed hemp might cure it?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Use of Tallowed hemp is avoided in potable water installations because it can support the growth of micro-organisms.

Like Bacho suggests PTFE tape might be more appropriate.

This valve is clearly (?) NOT on the potable-water part of the system, so whatever works as gland-packing, use it. That said - there's not much wrong with PTFE tape...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back