Leaking gulley

Today I've diverted all the drainage to the soil stack. Got a bit peed off when I realised none of my push fit stuff would fit onto the solvent weld pipe sticking out of the walls. Anyway another trip to the shop and I've solvent welded it all up. No more water is going down this gulley. I will be removing it.
(y)

Sponsored Links
Do you know for sure that the nearby soil stack is not also broken? Most likely at the rest bend.

If your hole fills with warm water after a bath you can get your spade out again.
I don't fancy digging the concrete out around the stack. If it isn't damaged before it will be afterwards. However the stack is only about 1.2 metres from the IC so wouldn't be a big job to replace the whole run.

I'm still of the theory that this water is in the ground. I've just been out 24h later and the water was level with the top of the meter - where it always settled before. I've emptied it out again and dug a little deeper. I've exposed the square plastic bottom on the meter chamber now.

WTF is going on with your water meter connection and stop cock?
What a bodge!
Were you not able to get to your cock before you dug it out?
You might have a leak on your rising main, stick some food colouring in some water and stick it down each of your internal wastes.
The cock and the meter were in the same hole. But the cock was always completely underwater as it sits a good few inch lower.

The pipework after the meter is a bodge. It is because the meter is at an angle and the only way to get onto the old lead pipe coming into the house was to go up across and down.

I've just chucked some red water down the sink and we'll see if it emerges in my hole.

For perspective here's a photo of the area. There is no other drainage nearby. The far gulley and the soil stack join together prior to the IC.
20171006_173946.jpg

Sponsored Links
My only comment is check your falls on the new 40mm pipe from your sink to the soil pipe. That looks very steep to me so might pull the trap.
I think there can also be issues with leaving solids behind but probably not from a kitchen sink so much as it gets flushed through.
Edit sorry just read that it's just a temporary 32mm connection and will be replaced. 32mm will be all the worse for trap sucking.

My only comment is check your falls on the new 40mm pipe from your sink to the soil pipe. That looks very steep to me so might pull the trap.
I think there can also be issues with leaving solids behind but probably not from a kitchen sink so much as it gets flushed through.

That pipe is 32mm, to match existing bend buried in the wall. I will be changing it to 40mm when I do the kitchen. Very shortly. I'll adjust the pipework accordingly.

Well I never. There's red water in my hole. Well, a very faint bit of red amongst the black. I cant believe it. I'm going to have to dig out the rest bend. Thats a whole new world of pain. I'm tempted to dig out the whole patio and replace the lot. If a jobs worth doing . . . I also want to look at the other gulley to check it isnt broken, though this may become apparent when i dig out the stack as they are close by.

Could be your house has settled slightly and broken off all the rigid drain connectors. That's why nowadays it's all bedded in pea gravel and rocker joints. I'm thinking your long term plan might be the best idea too. Bad luck.

It could be leaking at the rest bend or after the manhole.

Best if you check from the manhole down with a different colour.

It could be leaking at the rest bend or after the manhole.

Best if you check from the manhole down with a different colour.
The water flows from the manhole away from this gulley. So that'd be going even further through the soil. And uphill. No, I'm fairly sure its the length of pipe between the soil stack and the chamber.

As you've said Steve, I'd allow for changing that other gulley too whilst you've got the hole open, chances are the old pipework is at the end of its useful life. Replace the lot back to the chamber, and give yourself peace of mind it's sorted. They're pretty close together, so chances are you'll disturb the gulley whilst digging out for the stack anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back