Stormwater Soakaways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I'm digging a Koi pond.

Started my dig today which has gone well so far and we've got down 30 inches or so, and we will have 24 inches above ground to give just over 4 feet in depth. My pond will be 6 feet from my rear of house wall. and 9 feet in diameter, approx 1400 gallons and is a moulded plastic tub.

Background info, my cottage is 200 years old and has had an extension around 30 years ago, before I bought the property.

Now, my pick hit a rock and gave off a 'hollow' ting, arousing suspicion; excavated carefully around the rock (limestone) and pulled it up to reveal it was capping a brick gulley 10 inches wide 2 courses deep running across my pond footprint just off centre (bottom drain will miss it). The courses of bricks have been capped with whatever the builder could get their hands on, large limestone and sandstone.

The gulley runs over my land into my neighbours land where I'm assuming it terminates into a soak away, the gulley looks like its leading to my roof downpipes and is serving to clear rain/storm water. The bricks are not mortared together just butt against each other and the gulley was half full of dirt. I ran a hose full bore into the down pipe gulley trap for half an hour and sure enough water ran into the gulley, so I'm certain it is an old soak away.

I need advice ! My initial thoughts are to lift the rocks off the brick gulley, clean out the gulley as best as I could and then cap with 400mm paving slabs the cover over with sharp sand and kingspan which my pond will then sit on. Then I had another thought to shove 110mm soil pipe up the gulley as far as I could toward the House rainwater down pipe and then infill the gulley around the soil pipe with gravel etc and complete the pipe run pushing soil pipe down away from my house until it leaves my land onto my neighbours land.

Do these ideas sound like a plan and would concrete slabs support my ponds across a 10 inch gulley assuming I don't do the soil pipe and backfill option ?

Cheers,
Mark
ginboomerang

Sponsored Links
With a 1400 galls of water sitting in a round pond of nine feet diam works out to be about 22 galls per square ft or 220 lbs/square ft. Seems to be quite a lot to me. Your idea for a paving stone over the gulley will provide enough suppoort, but it could be a hard ridge under the pond, i.e. the base of the pond will settle around it. Is the soil adjacent to the gulley a dense clay or still a loose top soil? The other thing is that the gulley might settle under the pond, as it seems that the brickwork is loose, in which case the pond will be OK, but the gulley will have a 1/2" dip in it!
I would be tempted to dig a hole in the corner and see if you get to the subsoil within 12", if so then any settlement would be so small as to be ignored. If you can't get to the subsoil, it would be woorthwhile to consolidate the soil with a whacker. Then in theory, the soil will not settle any more.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back