leaking gutter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
as shown in the photo, there is a black stain on the (wooden) fascia of my house (right hand side) for many years. Yesterday after heavy rain, I noticed there seems to be a vertical water mark on the brick wall just below that. Is it because there is an overflow in the gutter above there and the wind blow the rain water onto the wall?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 318
Sponsored Links
Probably. If the gutter overflows or leaks at a joint it needs put right.

looks like it might be a roof issue .
The water is running behind the gutter as can be seen on the fascia.
The nearest gutter union is to the far right.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies. While the stain on fascia is unsightly, I will leave it until I have the money and time to have the timber fascia replaced with upvc in the future.

Like Woody says .........and I think the water is getting into the fascia/soffit box then running down the wall. You might be able to extend the valley temporarily with some " flashband" thus stopping the wall staining (and more water on the fascia)

it could well be the grp valley is short , or it could simply be the bottom tile channel is cracked off, hence running down the outside of the fascia. either way an easy fix.
while you are waiting for the plastic fascia you timbers are rotting.....

How much would a repair job like this likely cost? I’m in Bristol. I just like to get a rough figure before calling in a professional. Thanks.

Hi

I am in Bristol. Just got a quote from a contractor saying
“I think this could be due to the gel being rotten. It would mean stripping a few tiles then re dressing some lead so that water from the roof and valley ends up in the gutter not on the fascia.
Cost to do this would be £224.00 + vat. This requires 2 men as someone will need to foot the ladder."

Do you think this is reasonable?
many thanks,

Ask if there is a discount if you foot the ladder so only need 1 man :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back