Leaking heat exchanger Potterton Housewarmer 45 back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last month my back boiler has hissed when the heating stops - a gas engineer took the fire off today and it appears a small amount of water is dripping from the heat exchanger. The boiler works perfectly but clearly this looks like it will get worse and is probably dangerous.

The engineer was unable to help - I contacted Potterton Myson who giggled at me when I explanied it was a Housewarmer which they thought was very old (althought the engineer today said it looked clean and fairly new).

Can anyone suggest whether it is possible to get a replacement heat exchanger and get someone to fit it or whether I'll need to replace the boiler - and if the latter are back boilers still legally installable, as I have heard replacing with a condensing boiler will cost £3-4k.

Sponsored Links
dont think they make the heat exchangers anymore.....unless you can find one on a shelf its a new boiler.

If the heat exchanger has been leaking for a month or so I would imagine corrosion is starting to set in, the insulation pads are damaged etc, not normally a cost effective repair!
Potterton part 930000 GC 289800 Heat exchanger assy is available
Although the cover plates are now obsolete (end plates)
A Baxi back boiler is still available and is probably a better option than a repair
Get three or four quotes for both repair and replacement, and fitting a new condensing boiler.

Sponsored Links
Its possibly that its only a gasket seal failed.

The engineer should have told you what was actually leaking.

The gaskets can be replaced but if the cast iron is cracked then thats a big job and not many would think it worthwhile for an old and inefficient boiler.

A replacement heat only boiler could be as cheap as £1500 depending on where it can be fitted.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back