leaking isolation valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a 22mm isolation valve on the return pipe just under the boiler, and it's weeping from the (flat-head) screw. I know these type of valves do this and should be replaced, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had any luck with temporary fixes in this situation. Don't want to have to drain down the system at the moment - might need to do this in 6 months or so when some work is to be done on the system. Wondered if a dab of LSX might do in the interim - assuming the valve doesn't need to be used in the meantime.

Any opinions/alternatives?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
LSX on the outside won't achieve anything.

If the leak is very slow then it might stop on its own (if you don't disturb it).

Thanks Softus. I'll monitor it over the next few days (and no fiddling - promise!).

Failing that though, any alternatives that might see me through a few months before the system really does need to be drained down? Access to the screw head isn't really an issue 'til then. Some sort of tape perhaps? It's a slow weep, but irritating nonetheless.

There's nothing you can except replace the valve, or hope that it 'heals' up in the meantime.

I don't really know why you can't drain to a point just below the valve and whip in a new one.

Sponsored Links
No good reason, other than trying to put off that job until it definitely has to be done for other work to be carried out in the spring. Thanks for clarifying the situation with the valve though.

A stitch in time saves nine.

If the water that's leaking out contains a chemical corrosion inhibitor, then putting it off will result in the dose being diluted. Left for long enough you'd lose protection and rads will start to rust.

If your system isn't already protected, then are you aware of what is likely to happen?

i have found that sometimes turning the "screw" 180 d stops the leak

Maybe some internal leak sealer will help until its replaced.

Dave

if you want a real bodge up, drain a bit of water out, give it some heat and run a bit of solder in it. only a very temporary fix to keep it running till the new vave arrives.

So, even though it would be incredibly difficult to get solder into the gland of a brand new ball-o-fix valve, you reckon that you've succeeded in doing it with a cruddy old one that's had water and Fernox and grunge suppurating forth?

I very much doubt it.

yep, only ever once though, was a worcester i think. not pretty but it worked as a stop gap.

There's nothing you can except replace the valve, or hope that it 'heals' up in the meantime.

I don't really know why you can't drain to a point just below the valve and whip in a new one.

Irks me when the new valves come closed and i carefully turn them on before fitting, thinking i've knacked that one too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back