Leaking mains water pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

we have noticed that the outside wall in our house seems to be quite damp ( my wood moisture meter read 35% , whereas along the wall its 14%)
The area is by the main wastepipe from the shower etc so we presumed it was that.
But having checked all that we realize this isnt the case.

The mains water pipe seems to go under the patio and come up the wall before coming into the kitchen.
The wall in the kitchen seems fine with no signs of damp.

The house is 1860 and the mains pipe from the road feeds 4 houses and I supect is still the original pipework.

Is there a way of checking the pipe is leaking other than taking a section of the house wall out?
Similarly is the a way of replacing the pipe without taking the wall and or patio apart?
Finally is any of this likely to be covered by house/buildings insurance?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
terry,
No we dont have a water meter. Word is that the water co didnt want to fit one as pipes are so old ( plus the pipe in the street feeds four houses.)

terry,
No we dont have a water meter. Word is that the water co didnt want to fit one as pipes are so old ( plus the pipe in the street feeds four houses.)

1860's and reluctance suggests it will be lead. They have a duty to replace it I think.

Sponsored Links
Do you have an external stopcock near the boundary to your property ,that you can use to isolate your supply only ?

Harry- interesting, where would I find out more info on this?

Terry - no its one off all off!!

Ask your local water supply company and point out it is a shared pipe to four properties.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back