Overflow pipe leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I think it is an overflow pipe, anyway, my kitchen sink drain is leaking, but not under the sink. There is the normal drain pipe with a pipe coming off the side that goes into the wall. The water is leaking from within the wall and going under the kitchen and to the outside wall of the kitchen. My hubby thinks the main drain is clogged sending the water to the overflow in the wall, ( they did not have this pipe coming out of the roof like it is supposed to) but my thinking is if the drain is clogged it would come back up into the sink also. I believe that the overflow pipe is broken in the wall. The house is over 135 years old and who knows when those pipes were ever replaced. The minute you run water into sink the water just starts coming out the wall and flows freely in the sink. Comments please.

Thank you
ldyhwk89

Sponsored Links
You seem to have an unconventional sink waste arrangement, so it would be useful to see a photo of it.

No I don't have a picture of it. The drain pipe under the sink is like a "y" with the right half going into the wall and the left going into main drain pipe. The overflow (I believe) then slants up to the main overflow pipe about going up to the top of the wall. Yes they did things unconventionally in a lot of things but now it's my problem. :(

ldyhwk89

Sponsored Links
Problems like this are usually caused by a build-up of detergent, vegetable, and fatty deposits in the trap and slightly beyond, but the words "slants up" start off alarm bells.

Do you have a digital camera? Or a phone with a camera?

If not, the best advice I can offer is that you note (sketch if necessary) where everything goes, dismantle what you can, clean it all out, then reassemble back to how it was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back