Leaking metal box gutter junction with plastic guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all . Have a leak I Beleive I the juntion between the metal box gutter and plastic guttering where it forms a corner . It was previously sealed I guess with some sort of flash band products whcuh I guess has now failed . Think this was from manufacture . What are my options re products to reseal such as flexcryl ans so on to paint into the joint ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
rb19880,
Why not post pics of the junction? Pics from below & pics looking down into the junction if possible?

Can’t really get many pictures from different angles as it’s against an extension wall and flat roof . You can see a roofer had a go at it and left it worse than it was and he now doesn’t responsd . The attempted to re felt a small area of the flat roof adjacent to it too
48235D75-BC90-4207-B34C-FB0512569D57.jpeg
6091F1AF-C0E1-4255-A7D4-D68B0F4C32BA.jpeg
BF645E1D-406B-47C2-826C-AF4DF31267EB.jpeg

He’s now just out 2 layers of roof felt over and painted on some of thst sealant you paint on what looks like acrypol .. there’s no damp above the ceiling in the extension so I’m inclined to think it’s not leaking via the roof

Sponsored Links
Seems it . Unless it’s getting in where the gutter is sealed to the extension wall but there no damp thst side . Any idea what a good sealant or “ paint on “ resin is any good for these things ? Aslo how can I get off the 2 strips of roof felt he slapped on ? They were put on using a gas canister so maybe heat gun off ?

Seems it . Unless it’s getting in where the gutter is sealed to the extension wall but there no damp thst side . Any idea what a good sealant or “ paint on “ resin is any good for these things ? Aslo how can I get off the 2 strips of roof felt he slapped on ? They were put on using a gas canister so maybe heat gun off ?
I think your gutter bodges have been exhausted by the looks of it. That flashband is masking what ever is the problem, without actually solving it. If there was some way of arranging the roof layout, so that you could do away with the box gutter - no matter how ugly - I'd do it.

Gutter sits between conservatory and extension unf so don’t think re configuring etc is an option . Any suggestions re water proofing the joint ?

Unless it’s getting in via the conservatory frame in the corner of the window perhaps

If i was doing such a job then I'd first drop the guttering and down pipe.
I'd clean off all the gunk and replace the rubber seals.
Then set the clips to a string line falling into the outlet. And then fit things back together.

I'd next remove all the Flashband and any sealant gunk from between the structures.
I would then have a view of what I was dealing with & do a bit of trial and error before settling on what to do.
I cant say much more because I dont know whats going to be exposed after removing the Flashband etc.

Your call but if you remove the Flashband then you could post pics for maybe further advice?
There are ways of dealing with the torched on felt but I wouldn't advise you to start learning how to use heat on your own roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back