Leaking Metal Chimney Stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we had a new roof fitted five months ago (left side roof). Around the seam area of the circular chimney stack (see image 1) water is leaking into the roof. We've asked another roofer to take a look at it from the outside and he says the original installer has fitted the chimney incorrectly/the wrong way round? Not sure if he means the lead/tiles or collar? I didn't understand his explanation. From image 2, could anybody explain what the problems may be and why water is getting into the roof. Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20230723_160031_335.jpg
    IMG_20230723_160031_335.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20230226_122226_764.jpg
    IMG_20230226_122226_764.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
Most likely culprit is the rubber seal on the lead slate been cut badly and not sealing.
The adaptor connecting the twin wall does look the wrong way round but that would need checked by a qualified gas bod.

The additional slip of lead is to short . Some water could track sideways .
It would have been better I'd a lead slate had been used with the appropriate collar.
The rubber may not be sealing the pipe where the pipe seam is .
The ridge is a mess there could even be water tracking down from there
There are a few possibles there .

And get the internals checked as above

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the detailing of the issues. Will get it looked at. I thought initially that this was a good neat job but now it appears to be a rush corner cutting job to make more profit. Hopefully the issues can be resolved without too much new costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back