Leaking oak conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I'm new to this so please be gentle :)

I have an oak conservatory which the previous owner built. It looks great but has been a nightmare to keep watertight. The problem is the window pains they have been sealed with clear silicone and held in place with a 1" baton all the way round. I spent last summer (while pregnant) replacing the batons inside and resealing the gaps with the best quality silicone I could find, and it has amazingly held up till now but the outside needs serious attention.

I was wondering how the professionals would do it? Should I use glaziers putty instead of silicone? Which is the best to get? The glass is double glazed so can you get it pigmented so you can't see it?

My time is precious now so it's not a job I want to be repeating every year!!!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
What type of conservatory? Is it a joinery made kiln dried hardwood number or a green oak frame? Pictures would help. It does sound like a dogs dinner though.

What is sealing the outer surface of the glass? Resealing inside is all well and good but it sounds like the water is still getting in, so the outside needs attention.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back