Waterproofing oak conservatory windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for advice for my leaky conservatory. It was built by the previous owner and is made of french oak. The battens on the outside of the windows need replacing, the entire exterior needs sanding and treating, and the sealant around each pane needs replacing. At the moment they look to have been sealed with a silicone sealant and then the oak battens screwed to the frame outside holding the glass in place.
I was wondering if silicone is the best thing to use or if window putty might be a better solution, having battens on the outside just seems to collect water which sits and rots the sealant. Is there any way to avoid this happening?
This is a big job for the summer and I would love to know the right way of tackling it. It's not something I want to do again for a few years.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back