leaking oil tank, a few questions, repair, replace ,relocate

Nonsense such as a tank typically holding 18 months of oil.
I never said that.

Nonsense such as the domestic limit being stated as 3000 litres (you wrote this one). It's 3500.
I never said 3000 litres was the domestic limit, I said the tank had to be bunded over 3000 litres. I was still wrong, my memory failed me, it’s actually 2500 litres; but it was 4 years ago since I had mine done & just goes to prove that you should always check for yourself. If you do get it slightly wrong, someone will correct you on this forum but I woul dhardly say it qualifies as nonsense! I wasn’t aware there was a limit on domestic storage if the tank was bunded but your average domestic situation woud not require such a large tank.

For the sake of clarity here are the regs;
Oil Storage Regulations state that if you are storing below 3500 litres you are exempt. If you are considering storing more than 3500 litres any new installation must be bunded. For existing installations all commercial tanks must comply by sept 2005. All new domestic installations must comply now and agricultural tanks over 1500ltr must have been bunded since 1991. Building Regulations state that if you are installing a new tank or changing an old one, any tank with a capacity of more than 2500 litre's MUST be bunded. However, tanks with less than 2500 litre capacity must be bunded if the tank is:-

* Within 10 metres of controlled water
* Located where spillage could run into an open drain or to a loose manhole cover
* Within 50 metres of a borehole or spring
* Over hard ground or hard surfaced ground that could enable spillage run-off to reach controlled water
* Located in a position where the vent pipe outlet is not visible from the fill point
* Supplying heating oil to a building other than a single family dwelling

The Building Control option is fine but it is not free, they will typically hire an OFTEC qualified person to inspect the tank and pass on the cost. Chances are they will find something non compliant, note it on the OFTEC600 and you will have to get it reinspected.
I didn’t say it was free & I’m sure LABC hire a local OFTEC installer to inspect; as to weather or not they will find something wrong is a question of weather or not the installation has been done correctly.

I am an OFTEC installer, rather than a member of the public who happens to have had a tank fitted at some time in the past.
So as an OFTEC installer are you not also a member of the public or does that elevate you into the realms of the elite? Were not all stupid; it’s hardly rocket science & is well within the capabilities of most. I considered DIY as the work was part of extensive rebuilding being done on my own property so I took the trouble to find out what was involved but I decided to go OFTEC because it was easier, the guy handled the oil transfer from my old tank & disposed of it for me. As for an OFTEC installer being infallible; I had one guy quoting tell me that the existing fire valve sited next to the boiler inside the house was OK when in fact it has to be sited outside; he looked a bit sheepish when I corrected him & showed him proof. I don’t know what he was up to, perhaps trying to save time/money or was just one of the useless ones, as there are in all trades; needless to say he didn’t get the job.

Best to get a professional installer with indemnity and the ability to self certify. I am not touting for work because I do not cover the area and we do not do tank changes unless a boiler renewal is involved.
I didn’t & don’t disagree with that; it’s what I did in the end & is, in fact, what I advised the OP.

The definition of an 'oil storage tank' is not met when it cannot be used for the storage of oil. Therefore, for transportation and disposal purposes, once it has been drained of oil, a top corner cut off means that a scrap recycler is working with something that is no longer classed as an oil tank.
How does that help the OP fix his predicament, if he cuts the top corner off it he can’t even store oil regardless of weather it has a leak or not! :eek:

Sponsored Links
I said you were wrong. You were. You could make a long story out of it or a short one.

I said you were wrong. You were. You could make a long story out of it or a short one.
Don’t want to make any story out of it really; you was the one that made the sweeping statement about a “load of nonsense” without clarifying anything when all it amounted to was you not agreeing with one poster & myself getting the capacity wrong for a bunded tank! big deal even you didn't get all of it right :rolleyes:

And as for the “cutting the corner off the tank dodge”, what the hell is all that about; it’s about as much use to the OP as a one legged man in an asre kicking contest. :LOL:

Installing an oil tank:
Are you OFTEC 600A Registered like myself!
Do you have OFTEC public LIABILITY insurance?... Prob NOT!

Don't touch what you haven't been trained in.

If you have a leak the leak should be reported to either on OFTEC Technician or a local inspector for your area!

Massive bills can arise from oil clean ups..

THIS SUBJECT: NOT A D-I-Y JOB FOR YOURSELF

OFTEC TECHNICIAN WILL NORMALLY DO A RISK ASSESSMENT WHILST ON SITE. MYSELF: WHILE DOING A BOILER SERVICE! I ALWAYS CHECK THE INSTALLATION AND CHECK TO SEE WHAT DOCUMENTATIONS PRESENT FROM CHECKING TO SEE THE INSTALLATION DOCUMENT.. WITH CURRENT BUILDING REGS.

ADVISE THE CUSTOMER IF THE INSTALLATION OF THE TANK OR OTHER DOESN'T CONFORM TO THE LATEST UPDATES FROM OFTEC.

REPORTS ARE WRITTEN OUT AND STICKERS ISSUED IF THE TANK DOESN'T COMPLY. FAULTS THAT URGENTLY NEED ATTENTION! DON'T TOUCH WHAT YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TRAINED FOR AS FOR WHEN A QUALIFIED TECHNICIAN VISITS YOU, HE MITE ADVISE YOU THAT EXTRA WORK IS NEEDED AS THE INSTALL DOESN'T COMPLY.

Sponsored Links
1proteus; this thread is 14 months old so it's all pretty irelevant really ;)

It must be his annual inspection bring forward!

Note that its his first posting here so that probably explains his inability to ensure that his postings are timely!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back