leaking Patio Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back in feb i discovered that both bottom corners of my patio doors have been leaking for years, carpet and underlay plus skirting board soaked.
I have reparied and resealed the frame with Ronsil hardner and made a lot of repairs with sealant. However the water seems to be coming up through the floor slab under the doors in one area. The outside is 6 inches above a shingle soak away is sealed and the damp course look like it runs under the doors.The house is just under Ten yars old and still within the NHBC period
1 What more can I do
2 Can the NHBC cover this type of problem as I think the frames have to come out and the whole lot reworked.
Also on Next doors house has the same installation and same problem but to lesser degree.
thanks for advice

Sponsored Links
ok my thought

they will try to wriggle out of it
have you maintained the frames and cills by oiling every year or painting every 3 or 4 years [twice since new]

is the outside ground level 6" below the door frame!!!

ronseal hardner is only sutable for stabalizing the timber that is still solid but gone slightly soft in small areas and cant easily be removed
all decayed timber must be removed and new spliced in if possible

Thanks Big -All

Think I resolved the problem, on careful soak testing I found an area that was allowing water to leak in. I cleaned all the sealant off and found a hole 1/4 inch in Dia. Its not rot Just a knot or drilled out hole. So I filled the void with sealant and plugged the hole with Ronsil filler, then reapplied sealant. So Far no re-accurance. However I think I will plan a compleat frame replacement in the longer term. Think this installation was botched as was the installation next door.
Cheers

Hi Big All More advice please
Over the summer I thought Id fixed my leaking patio doors but this week with very strong winds and Driving rain they are leaking as bad as ever.
Further to the actions of previous post, I have treated all the brickwork with Thompsons water repellant, found some small cracks in the cement under the external edge of the base frame and generally repaired the rotten parts of the base frame with timber hardner etc.
Yesterday is was leaking like mad so I removed the internal skirting board and trim at the base of the wooden frame and discovered that the wood frame is not supported at the base its 10-15 mm above the DPCourse with no supporting cement or wedges at all completly accross
the width of the door no support at all. Then I found water on the internal edge of the wood frame where there is a 5 mm verticle strip to support the base edge of the PVC frame.
I suspect in the wind that the PVC door is moving against the base frame allowing water in.
How can I fix this please other than having a complete door removal and new base frame fitted and doors refitted
Thanks Orion

Sponsored Links
ok more information required

is the surrounding ground at least 6" below the damp proof course!!!

is the cappilery/drip groove under the cill clear[feel for a clear groove around 20mm back!!!

if you have a gap underneath the frame you need to fill it in with cement builders foam or temporary with frame sealant and probably several applications

Dear Big All

Thank you for your prompt reply.

is the surrounding ground at least 6" below the damp proof course!!!
Yes its 2.5 bricks depth above shingle

is the cappilery/drip groove under the cill clear[feel for a clear groove around 20mm back!!!
Yes

if you have a gap underneath the frame you need to fill it in with cement builders foam or temporary with frame sealant and probably several applications
Thats what I was hoping you would say. I have fitted temporary wooden wedges to support frame (gently fitted and door still slides ok )
I have Hanson Sand/cement mix handy pack to pack under frame, and then for resealing outside of frame Thompson leak fix multi purpose clear sealant.
It will take a few days to do this so I will report back when complete
Many Thanks
Eric

Dear Eric - or anyone else who can help - we seem to have a similar problem in that we have a leak from a balcony which we just can't fix.

There are patio doors to the balcony and the leak comes in under the wooden frame of the patio doors (the doors are plastic), and soaks the carpet and woodwork. It just comes in in one corner.

We've tried everything - much like Eric above, including getting the balcony refelted and new patio tiles put on, we've also put a lip around the balcony area so that it's felted right the way up to the doors. Have sealed everything and are at our wit's end!!

Fine for about 6 months over summer but now sopping wet again after recent weather

Help!

The reason it's difficult because you got to find where it's leaking and sometime that's not easy. Sad I know but get a garden hose and spray it certain places will help you to pin point the leak

Herein lies the problem - we don't seem to be able to replicate the leak when we pour water on it... and and now everything is fully sealed in!

have you sprayed the top and side off the frame as the water could be getting in anywhere

could even be a window or wall way abouve the problem area then running down between the the walls in the cavity till the hit the the cavity closer or the frame

Can you take a photo above the door including top of the tiles, it maybe leaking behind the tiles

I can't get onto the roof because we don't have ladders big enough. However I did get it checked a couple of years ago & it was fine. And has leaked on and off ever since!

I actually think it's been leaking the whole time we have been in the house & is something to do with the construction of the loft conversion when it was first put in. However....

... here is a pic of the top of the doors from outside

View media item 17181
Inside there is about two foot of wall above the doors and no water marks whatsoever.

The wall is slightly pitched (if this is the correct word) so that there is a foot or two of wall at the bottom of the doors and a few inches at the top of the doors[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back